Betrayal

—————

—————

Earlier this morning I received a call from Jenna, asking if I'd like to join her and Elijah on a historical tour of mystic falls.

I, of course, jumped at the opportunity to get out of the house.

As we make our way through the woods, Jenna tells Elijah about some of the land we're on.

"The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence."

"Ah, the Fells. One of the founding families." Elijah says with a smirk.

"Why do you say it like that?" I giggle.

"My research showed me that this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. It was a migration of townsfolk from the northeast, um, it was Salem, to be precise." Elijah explains.

"Massachusetts? As in the witch trials?" Jenna questions.

"Which means the ever-lauded founding. families...didn't actually found anything." Elijah explains further.

"Hah! I knew it. I get so much crap for not being from a founding family. God, I can't wait to rub this in Damon's face." I jump around excitedly, causing Elijah to snicker.

"Well, I bet it was the men who made a big deal about being founders in 1860. Men are very territorial." Jenna adds.

"Yes, they are." Elijah says, just as Alaric walks up to us.

"Elijah, this is my friend, Alaric Saltzman." Jenna introduces.

I turn to Elijah and make a discreet kissy face, letting him know the true nature of their relationship.

He tries to hide a smirk as he lightly hits my arm, telling me to stop.

"Yeah, I got your message about walking Elijah here through the old property lines. I thought I would tag along. You know being a history buff and all. Where to next?" Alaric says, in a slightly hostile tone.

"I'm pretty curious about the freed slave property owners. Some say, you know, the descendents of the slaves are the true keepers of American history." Elijah answers.

"Preach!" I hold my hands up in a praising motion.

"Well, I only brought the surveys. I got that list in the car." Jenna excuses herself, leaving the three of us alone.

"Alaric Saltzman. So you're one of those people on Elena's list of loved ones to protect." Elijah speaks.

"So is Jenna." Alaric replies simply.

"You don't have to be jealous. I don't really pursue younger women." He pauses, before pulling me into a side hug. "Well most, that is."

I almost lose my composure as I see the look on Alaric's face.