Disco inferno

————

————

I rub the sleep from my eyes, tiredly, as my alarm blares throughout the room.

I sit up, exhausted.

It's then that I was hit with a wave of grief. It crashes over me, suffocatingly.

Elijah is gone.

No.

Not gone.

Dead.

My best friend, the person who is supposed to look out for me, care for me, love me.

He betrayed me.

He had stabbed me in the back, just as he had done to Elijah.

I finally find it within myself to roll out of bed.

I do my morning routine, almost robotically.

When I finished, I try to lightly make my way downstairs. Avoiding any creaky steps.

However, my efforts appear to have been futile, as I hear my father's voice boom from the kitchen.

"Ivy!" He calls, sending a shiver down my spine.

I quickly make my way into the kitchen, where he was standing.

"Where are you going?" He asks calmly, which scares me more than the yelling.

"School. Sir." I answer timidly.

"Make me breakfast. Please. Then you can go." His voice remains steady. I hated when he did this.

He would try to act all nice, and then snap at me.

Those would always be the worst beatings. Like he's saved up all the hatred he felt, and took it out on me.

"Yes sir." I reply with a fake smile.

It would be even worse if I didn't play along.

I scurry around the kitchen, trying to scrounge up a decent meal for him. I make scrambled eggs and toast.

I sit with him as he eats, per his request.

I couldn't even pretend to have an appetite right now.

"Would you mind cleaning the dishes before you go?" He asks, as if he were giving me a choice.

"It's no problem." I answer in a quiet tone.

I gather his plate and the pan I used, heading over to the sink.

I try to wash them as fast as I can, but he walks over to me in the middle of washing the second dish.

"You're such a good girl." He whispers into my hair, causing my body to stiffen, and slightly shake with fear.

His hand snakes around my shoulder, squeezing me into a side hug. As if he was actually a loving father.

But I knew better. I knew there was another reason for his closeness.