Pain

———

———

I walked with Caroline through the halls of our school. She was currently talking on the phone with Tyler.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but Tyler was talking so loud I could hear their entire conversation.

"What do you mean you're ditching my clean up committee?" Caroline questions him sharply.

"Klaus called. He's leaving town and wants me to pack up his house." Tyler's voice echos out of the phone, audible but quiet.

"Well, since when does sire bond equal mover slave?" Caroline asks.

"Since he realized I used to be a dick to his girlfriend." He answers.

I discreetly look away from Caroline who stole a short glance my way.

I didn't exactly mean to tell Nik that, but I let it slip when I was telling a story.

I tune out the rest of their conversation, focusing on my steps as we walk.

We walked in a peaceful silence after Caroline hung up the phone.

I Both of our heads swivel quickly as we hear a noise.

Behind our backs, a whooshing noise rushes past. Caroline and I turn back around, only to find nothing there.

"Hello?" Caroline calls out.

We get no answer, so we walk into the cafeteria.

I smile as I see Rebekah cleaning up some of the mess.

"Hey Bekah!" I greet, running over and pulling her into a hug.

"Hello Ivy." She smiles.

"Where's Matt?" Caroline asks.

"He bailed. Got called into work at the last minute." Rebekah sighs.

"Are you kidding me? So, it's just us?" Caroline complains.

"Yes, and you're late. Clean up committee started at eight o'clock." Rebekah scolds.

"It's like 8:02." Caroline argues.

"Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized." Rebekah says, her tone slightly saddened.

"Well if you had come, I know you would've been the prettiest girl there." I attempt to cheer her up.

"Thanks Ivy." She smiles.

I walk with her past Caroline, helping her empty a trash can.

"I'm sorry about your mom. I mean I know you like, hated her and everything, but still...I'm sorry." Caroline speaks, referring to Esther's death last night.

"I'm sorry about your teacher. He seemed like a nice guy." Rebekah says in return.

I frown thinking of Alaric.