Apology fruit

———

———

I lay numbly in my bed, staring at the ceiling with a dull headache.

I had killed someone. I had taken a life. And to pay the price, I had triggered the werewolf curse.

When everything was settled with the police, we'd figured out the man I hit had been jumping in front of cars trying to commit suicide. I had just happened to be the one that hit him.

Nik said it was the best possible scenario, the man had no family or friends, but that did nothing to stop the overwhelming guilt I was riddled with.

Nik had been helping me, but I couldn't do much more than shower and go to the bathroom. I had barely eaten anything.

Nik thought I'd do well with some company, so he invited Hayley over the other day. I tried to be good company but I couldn't mask my emotions very well.

Nobody else had come to visit.

With my newfound werewolf abilities, I'd discovered that the enhanced hearing was the worst. It wasn't as good as vampire hearing, but it was definitely better than normal.

Every little sound was driving me crazy. For example, the ceiling fan was about to be ripped from its spot if it didn't quiet down.

My attention was drawn to my door as it creaked open revealing Nik.

"Angel? Can I come in?" He asks softly.

I nod and go back to staring at the ceiling.

After a few seconds I feel the bed dip beside me.

"I'm going over to the Salvatore's today. I'd like you to join me." He says gently.

"I can't go Nik." I whisper softly.

"I know you don't want to, but I'm afraid it's necessary. Staying cooped up in your room all day isn't what you need. You need to go outside and walk around for a bit." Nik encourages.

"Nik please don't make me go." I beg, my voice breaking.

"Aw, angel." He breathes, pulling me into a tight hug.

"I know it'll be hard, but I'll be there the whole time. We can even get ice cream after." Nik says.

"I don't want ice cream." I sniffle.

"Just please come with me. I promise I won't leave your side the whole time."

I take a few seconds to think it over. But he was right, I shouldn't just sit in here and rot.

"I'll go."

"Yeah?" Nik smiles.

"Yeah, but I've gotta shower first." I state.

"Take your time, love." Nik replies.

I nod and slowly make my way over to the bathroom.

Once I reach the door I turn back to look at Nik.