Chapter 7: Megatron

Optimus nodded and led Temptest toward the med bay.

"Why isn't your med bay next to the energon storage chamber?" Temptest frowned as they walked into the room.

"It's too close to the hallway entrance. We thought it would be a hazard if someone shot it from the base entrance," Optimus explained. "A fire or explosion next to the medical bay would be terrible if we had someone injured in there."

"How often are people shooting in your base?"

"Not often, but in the event of an attack, it would be dangerous."

Temptest tilted her helm. "How often does someone come back with critical wounds that getting to the storage chamber quickly would be paramount to their survival?"

Optimus paused. "Well, we're following Autobot protocols. Someone could get confused if we relocated it this late in the game."

"So you're letting protocols stop you from getting energon to the wounded faster?"

"Protocols keep medbays from being blown up and offer bots guidance for navigating new buildings."

Temptest rolled her optics. "Decepticons never have predictable structures. Makes invasions and spies easier for the enemy."

Optimus tilted his helm. "Sounds like familiar sentiment."

"Good," Temptest grinned. "That's Megatron wisdom. He's a master interior decorator."

"I would have to disagree," Optimus pulled out Ratchet's repair kit and motioned for her to sit. "You've never seen the Nemesis."

"I can do it myself," Temptest told him.

"Ratchet would have my helm if he found out," Optimus replied. "For my health, allow me."

Temptest frowned, but sat down and held out her servo.

"I am sorry for, you know, for trying to kill you and all," Temptest apologized.

"It is alright. We both made assumptions about each other that were not entirely true."

Temptest watched as he repositioned her digits. "You were much kinder to me than I would have been if I thought you were my enemy."

"I have gotten used to dealing with Megatron's prisoners. Bots who return from his hold after too long as a prisoner are never the same. They don't deserve to be punished for believing his lies," Optimus explained. "I'm sure you've dealt with the same thing from your Optimus?"

"My Optimus doesn't take prisoners."

"Oh," Optimus looked down.

Temptest paused. He looked a bit sad about that, which was weird from a guy she normal saw enjoying massacres. Hesitantly, she patted his shoulder, which was awkward and instantly regrettable. "It's okay, you're not him."

Optimus shook his helm. "It is hard to imagine I would be that cruel in any dimension."

"Megatron told me it was the support that got to your head. Everyone thought the mech from Iacon was their savior, so when you were denied the matrix, your ego just couldn't handle the rejection," Temptest offered a sordid explanation.

Optimus finished repairing her servo and looked up at her helm. "I don't think I'm a good enough medic to do anything beneficial for your audio receiver."

"You did a good enough job on my servo," Temptest smiled.

Optimus leaned back. "Earlier, you told me you wouldn't let yourself be captured again, but if your Optimus doesn't take prisoners, then what did you mean?"