Chapter 33: Sociopath

Later that morning, Temptest finally got in the recharge she missed from night patrol. She didn't wake up until later in the afternoon, when she felt a small boy knocking on her pede.

"Hi, Rafael," Temptest greeted as she sat up. The femme reached down and offered him her servo, letting him climb on and lifting him up to stand on her knee. "What's up?"

"I wanted to ask you some questions," he scratched the back of his neck nervously. "It might be silly, but I wanted to know about the other kids from the Good Autobot dimension."

Temptest grimaced. "Well, I'm afraid there's not much to say. I only met Miko."

"But you said we were all the same," Rafael pointed out. "How could you know if you only met Miko?"

"Well, Miko seemed pretty normal," Temptest replied. "And... well, I guess I really don't have much room to assume anything. Maybe you could ask one of the Autobots. I think you're Arcee's charge in their world."

"Bumblebee's," Rafael corrected. "I asked Optimus first."

Temptest nodded. "What did he say?"

"Pretty much only that before Knockout grabbed me and ran away."

She laughed. "How trusting of him. Want to try again?"

Rafael nodded quickly. "Please."

"Okay," Temptest let him hop into her servo again before standing up and taking a tunnel back to the main cave. "How come you're interested?"

"Science," he answered vaguely. "I just want to know the differences between our worlds."

She shrugged. "You aren't the only one. Optimus is very excited about using those differences to help his Decepticons turn good, and our Autobots too."

"How?"

"Basically friendship, discreet therapy, and some kidnapping."

Rafael nodded slowly.

Speaking of which, she needed to start getting up in Megatron's business soon. Maybe she could ask him some questions about the past. It was already really obvious that he had enough ego to accept any challenge for the sake of his pride... How did she manage to inherit that trait from his gentler counterpart?

Maybe it all just starts the same.

Temptest shrugged and continued into the main room, where most of the higher status bots were working on the new bridge technology. Temptest shivered. She was very glad she didn't understand science, because everyone over there looked either emotionally exhausted or pissed. The latter being Ratchet and Knockout, who were vehemently arguing over something that was above her pay grade and too long to pronounce. Soundwave cut in sharply to reprimand someone for a logical fallacy. They ignored him.

"Optimus," Temptest greeted the mech with a smile and held up Raf. "We have some questions."

Optimus looked relieved to get away from the others and quickly stepped away. "I am more than willing to cooperate."

"You okay alone?" Temptest asked Raf. "I have something I need to do."

"As long as Knockout doesn't see," Raf stepped carefully from her servo to Optimus's. "Sorry we were interrupted earlier."

"It's no fault of your own," Optimus smiled gently.

"Well," Raf started slowly. "What is Jack like?"

Temptest took that as her cue to leave. She tapped Megatronus on the shoulder.

"Hey, where is Megatron?"

Megatronus scowled. "He commandeered Airachnid's room. I don't know what he's going in there, but as long as I don't have to deal with him..."