Chapter 35: Misgivings

Temptest could hear ringing as her audio receivers struggled to adjust to the sudden changes in volume. First the explosion and now the silence, barely penetrated by groans and falling rock. She grunted and rose to her pedes. She hadn't been very close to the grenade, but it knocked her off balance.

Others weren't so lucky.

Aside from her and Megatron, who were far enough away to avoid the explosion, everyone was down. They seemed to be conscious, waking up from a forced offlining. Temptest ran through them, scanning for injuries and noting everyone seemed okay.

Until she reached Bumblebee.

There was blue shining on the outside of his frame and on the ground beneath him. Temptest gasped and jumped forward, softly grasping his lower half and looking into the wound that had blown off his leg beneath the knee.

"Wheeljack," Bumblebee mumbled. "Are the others okay?"

"Yeah," Temptest assured him. "Hold on."

"KNOCKOUT!" Temptest grabbed a rock next to her and chucked it at the half-conscious Aston Martin, who blinked rapidly in delayed surprise.

Moments later he was crawling to her, his optics widening. Temptest stood up and ran for the medbay, grabbing the medical pack and a cube of energon from the room next door. When she got back, Arcee was still unconscious, but everyone else was panicking and circling the yellow scout.

"Knockout!" Temptest shoved Megatronus at Soundwave and knelt down to Knockout. Her optics caught on another shocking sight and she momentarily froze in surprise, her intake left hanging open.

Knockout snatched away the medical kit and pulled out a blowtorch. "Temptest, energon, now!"

Temptest couldn't focus right now and her servos shook as she tried opening the seal for the cube. A black servo entered her line of sight and pulled it away, taking the cube and calmly pealing it back before lifting it to Bumblebee's intake. She scooted back and looked at Shockwave in disbelief.

"How...?"

Megatronus grabbed her shoulder and helped her up. "The others found him on Cybertron."

Temptest blinked. "But he died? Dreadwing said he was dead."

"Dreadwing lied," Shockwave stated.

Optimus moved forward. "Is Bumblebee okay?"

"He lost a leg, but he isn't going to bleed out," Knockout assured them. "As for his mental state, I can't be so sure."

Optimus nodded solemnly.

Temptest sighed. "What happened out there?"

"Mission accomplished," Airachnid answered as she helped up a weary Arcee. "We got the parts and an extra Decepticon. Feels a lot like defeat, though."

"I can't believe us," Arcee shook her helm. "Those Autobots..."

"Aren't the same," Ratchet shivered. "They're... wrong."

"Illogical," Shockwave interjected. "They are the same. Your CNA should suggest as much, but environmental stimuli have induced classical conditioning and thus resulted in different chemical processes within the spark."

Temptest frowned. "What?"

"Same in the outside, same on the inside, different altogether, it's not magic," Knockout summed up irritably. "Someone help me carry Bumblebee to the medbay."

Optimus quickly volunteered, but Megatronus took his place. "I'll make sure your scout is taken care of. You need to unload the materials you've stored. Everyone else, please help him. There is much to be done."