Chapter 45: Warlords

Bumblebee returned with Ratchet, and the two of them were trailed by Smokescreen and Bulkhead, all of whom were staring with wide optics at Ultra Magnus, who lazily slouched against the cot in the corner, his mannerisms having transformed completely.

"He admitted it?" Smokescreen asked. "Why?"

"I don't know," Temptest looked at Ratchet. "Do you still have tranquilizer?"

"Sedatives, yes," Ratchet nodded. "Why?"

"We need to search his subspace for the transdimensional device," Temptest decided. "If it's not there, we'll search his room and any other places he might have hid it."

Bumblebee crossed his arms. "You only care about getting back. He killed our friend."

Temptest glared. "What are you going to do about it?"

He got quiet and the others looked at each other, uncertain expressions passing between them. Temptest looked back at Ratchet, who nodded and steeled his gaze.

"I'll need someone to hold him down."

"Smokescreen, you're with me," Temptest grabbed the keycard from Bumblebee's surprised servos and stepped toward the door. "Bulkhead, block the exit. Ratchet, move in as soon as possible."

"What about me?" Bumblebee asked quietly.

"Go find Wheeljack," Temptest ordered. "Stop him from doing anything irrational." She then gave Ultra Magnus a look. "Don't try anything."

"And after everything I did for you," he sighed.

Temptest scoffed as she unlocked the cell. "I'm not the nice one here."

"Maybe we should wait for Optimus?" Smokescreen suggested.

"And risk him doing something?" Temptest shook her helm. "No, thank you."

She moved into the cell and Smokescreen followed, looking worried. Ultra Magnus simply held out his arms, letting her pull them behind his back and push him against the wall. Smokescreen stood there awkwardly.

"Watch his legs," Temptest warned.

Ratchet stepped inside and his forearm transformed, letting a short panel slide away to show a short needle. He found an energon line in Ultra Magnus's arm and quickly inserted the sedative.

When the needle came back out, there was a drop of energon on it. Nothing special, except it was purple.

Ratchet gasped. "Dark energon?"

"Does Optimus do this to all his soldiers?" Temptest demanded.

"Not Optimus," Ultra Magnus grinned. "My boss."

"Who is your boss?"

He looked at Bulkhead, who was guarding the door. "He already left."

Smokescreen frowned. "What does that mean?"

Ultra Magnus cackled. "If only you knew, right?"

"Why isn't it working?" Bulkhead questioned.

"Takes a minute," Temptest and Ratchet explained, looking at each other knowingly. She cracked a small smile.

Ultra Magnus chose that moment to fall over. Smokescreen panicked at his sudden movement and swung his fist out, punching the commander in the face and letting out a small screech. Temptest shrugged and dropped him.

Ratchet knelt down and pried open Ultra Magnus's subspace. He pulled out a small chip and then shut the compartment.

"Is that it?" Temptest asked.