Chapter 13: Alliance

Optimus stormed out of the medbay.

The look on Bumblebee's face was more than enough to communicate what the Prime was about to do. They'd screwed up and there would be hell to pay.

"Optimus," Ultra Magnus ran over. "Ratchet told me—"

"Bumblebee told me you were warned of a Decepticon threat and ignored it," Optimus interrupted.

Magnus paused. "Well, yes, but it was from another dimension. We have to protect ours first."

Optimus reached the monitors in the center of their base and turned to face all of his Autobots. "We have vowed to give our sparks to protecting not just Cybertron, but mankind from the ill-will of our enemies. We now know that mankind also exists in another world. So do our enemies. Maybe, for the most part, these events do not fall on us to stop, but Temptest was taken from our world, under our protection, and it is our responsibility to correct that error."

"But Optimus," Ratchet frowned. "If we leave, Megatron could do who knows what to this planet. And we might not be able to get back."

Optimus nodded. "Risks. We take risks every day. This is nothing new."

Bulkhead tilted his helm. "Traveling to a new dimension sounds pretty new."

"It's the idea," Smokescreen whisper-yelled.

"We don't even have a way to get there," Arcee pointed out.

"I have an idea for that," Optimus told her. "On the other servo, Magnus does have a point. It would be best to leave some bots behind for this mission and the protection of Earth."

"I'll stay," Ratchet sat down to prove his point.

"No," Optimus shook his helm. "Your skills will be needed, Ratchet. I will also take Bumblebee and Arcee. The rest of you will remain here."

Ratchet groaned. "Fine. What do you need to get us there?"

Optimus tilted his helm. "I am not sure how I know this, but a very specific frequency comes to mind when I imagine contacting Temptest's Megatron. We will use it."

"You have a random frequency that you think belongs to Megatron?" Ratchet asked skeptically.

Optimus nodded. "Let's test it."

He activated his comms. "Hello?"

There was absolutely no hesitation before he received an answer.

"You fragging piece of slag, Optimus! Where is Temptest!?"

Optimus blinked. "My apologies for the misconception. I am Optimus Prime. A... different Optimus Prime."

"No, you're not. He's out of commission."

"I have recently regained my wits. Please visit our base and determine whether or not I am lying. I also wish to discuss a potential operation to rescue Temptest from my counterpart."

"...I'll be there soon."

Optimus deactivated his comms and looked toward the others. "I believe the solution has been found."

Bumblebee beeped. "He's coming?"

Optimus nodded.

Ratchet shook his helm. "How in Primus's name did you have his frequency? Much less his interdimensional frequency?"

"I shall table that explanation for another time, old friend. For now, we need to prepare for our upcoming departure."

The other Autobots nodded and turned away, but Ratchet's gaze lingered on the Prime a moment longer. Optimus, who had taken charge so quickly and efficiently, now squirmed under Ratchet's scrutiny.