2.2 | Cullen's Leave Forks

⊱ ──── {⋆👑⋆} ──── ⊰

⊱ ──── {⋆👑⋆} ──── ⊰

Bella sat in a chair opposite Carlisle in his study as he cleaned up the blood from the open wound in her arm, removing pieces of glass from her skin. He drops one into a bowl; she tries not to look at the blood. "I sure can kill a party," Bella spoke up to distract herself. "It's not your fault," Carlisle assured her, "Jasper hasn't been away from human blood as long as the rest of us. He usually has Ellory to keep him anchored; he doesn't want her to suffer as he once did." Bella wanted to ask further but by Carlisle's tone, she assumed he wouldn't give up their stories; he respected their privacy.

"Seems like you're the only one it doesn't affect," Bella replied to him. "Centuries of practice," Carlisle told her with a small smile. "Did you ever think of... living differently?" Bella asked him. "I enjoy my work too much. Helping people, saving lives. I'm hoping there's a point to my existence, even if I am damned," Carlisle answered her truthfully. "Damned? You're not damned," Bella told him. "Then you and I agree. But Edward doesn't believe there's an afterlife for our kind, no matter how much Ellory argued otherwise. He thinks we've lost our souls," Carlisle expressed to Bella.

"That's why he won't..." Bella trailed off for a moment, "He thinks he'd be damning me." Carlisle nodded, "If you believed as he did, would you risk it?" Bella lowered her eyes at that, she wouldn't but she didn't care about that part because it wasn't the other way around; she wanted to be with him for eternity, she made that choice and she'd come to terms with it. "Will Ellory and Edward make up?" Bella asked Carlisle who frowned. "I've never seen them fight before, Bella. Whether they makeup, I'm not certain. Both are incredibly stubborn but Ellory... she used to be so full of life," Carlisle expressed.

"She still is," Bella replied with a confused expression. "From what you have seen, yes. But there was a time when everything amazed Ellory and she held so much life in her eyes," Carlisle informed her, a small wistful smile on his face. "What happened?" Bella asked cautiously. "She thought she fell in love with a human but... he was a hunter who killed our kind. She lost control and... well, an entire community within France suffered from it. It was Jasper and I who managed to pull her back but Edward wasn't around then. He kept this picture-perfect view on Ellory," Carlisle informed Bella.

"It took a long time for Ellory to control herself and by the time we had her back from the dark time, some of her light had faded," Carlisle finished off as he finished stitching her up. "So Jasper and Ellory are close?" Bella questioned, she wanted to learn more about the family. "Jasper had little sisters in his human life, when Ellory came along, he saw them in her eyes and immediately felt calm around her. And her ability to mimic others allowed him to feel understood in regards to the pressures of being an empathic vampire," Carlisle explained to Bella, "He felt all of our hunger from your blood, it was too much for him."

"Will Jasper be okay?" Bella asked making Carlisle smile fondly, he was glad that Bella didn't fear his son based on the actions of the night. "He will be. Alice will keep by his side and he'll just go through the process again," Carlisle assured her. "What about Rosalie and Emmett?" Bella asked about their bond with Ellory. "Rosalie has always seen Ellory as a daughter more than a sister, she and Ellory used to be closer but they had their own falling out due to differences in beliefs and then Ellory chose Edward's side in regards to you and him being together," Carlisle answered her, "And Emmett, he's adored Ellory from the moment she joined the family; he's always been the most welcoming."