Chapter 7 - Drinks

Lightbulb's parents entered her house, talking while carrying rustling grocery bags. Paintbrush sat up and rubbed their eyes. They looked back at Lightbulb, who was curled up in a fetal position. She let go of her knees and raised her head, "Do you wanna go see my parents?" She pushed herself up with her arms. They thought for a moment. Lightbulb's parents seemed nice, should they see them?

    As Paintbrush observed her room once more, they saw something they hadn't before. A trans flag hanging over her closet door. How had they never noticed that?

    Better late than never, they guessed. It made them more hyped to see her parents now that they knew they were supportive of trans kids, "yeah, sure." They both made their way downstairs, Lightbulb taking the lead. Paintbrush peered their head out from the wall watching Lightbulb run up to her mom and hug her.

Her mother wore a white undershirt with a tan cardigan. She had a brown flowy skirt with white leg warmers and mary janes. Her hair was the same shade as Lightbulb's roots, curling gracefully and draping over her shoulders.

    "Ah, Lightbulb! What are you doing here? You're supposed to be at work!" Her mother pulled away and rested her hands on Lightbulb's shoulders. She shrugged.

    "Eh, I called hooky*! I didn't want to go today, and also," She motioned to the stairway. Paintbrush emerged from behind the wall and held up jazz hands, "tada," they said unenthusiastically. Lightbulb's mother gasped and held out her arms. They rushed down the rest of the stairs and ran up to hug her. She wrapped her arms around them and picked them up, swaying side to side. She is strong alright.

    "Ohhhh, it is so nice to meet you! Lightbulb barely has her friends over anymore, I'm so glad she invited you here!" She put Paintbrush down and held out her hand, "My name is LED, but you can just call me Mrs. Bright. My husband ran outside to grab another load of groceries. He'll be here in a second."

    Mrs. Bright smiled wide as they shook her hand. She walked over to her kitchen island and started sorting through a variety of bags. They walked over and rested their elbow on the counter. Lightbulb followed and stood beside them. "I can help if you want," Paintbrush offered. Mrs. Bright raised her head and smiled fondly at them.

    "Oh, no! You're the guest!" They felt honored to be called a guest. They never hung out with people at their houses. Not anymore, at least.

    Lightbulb leaned back and rubbed her chin cartoonishly. "Oh! I know what we can do Painty!" They looked at her with interest. Steal stuff?

    "What?"

    "Let's go to the coffee shop!" She hopped up and down excitedly. They thought she would short-circuit if she drank any amount of caffeine, but they agreed.

    "Sure, lead the way," they motioned towards the entrance foyer, which Mr. Bright was stumbling through with grocery bags wrapped around his arms.

    "Oh, honey, let me help you!" Mrs. Bright rushed over and took some of the bags off his wrists. He was taken aback by the action. "I don't need help! I told you, I could bring it all in with two trips!" He sounded frustrated, but he looked relieved. Lightbulb laughed aloud, grabbing Paintbrush's wrist and dragging them towards the front door. They longed for her hand to have slipped just a tiny bit farther down.

    Wait, what?

    "Yeah, yeah. Tell that to the judicial branch. Anyways, let's go Painty!" She pulled them along towards the door, They yelped and followed behind her.

    Paintbrush followed Lightbulb outside of her house and down the sidewalk of her neighborhood. "Couldn't we've just taken your car?"

    "I don't have one!" Paintbrush paused and looked at her.