Chapter 14 - Sing

Lightbulb sighed, finally done with her joke streak, "I don't- *laugh* I don't have any more." Mr. Bright ruffled his hair and unpaused his game, a small chuckle escaping him, "Lightbulb, you're a hoot to be around, you know that?"

    She smiled proudly, getting up from the couch, "I know! I'm just that great."

    The sudden feeling of hands on her shoulders startled her. "Boo," a voice said in her ear. She yelped and jumped up in the air, whipping around to see the source. Of course, it was just Paintbrush. They wore a smug smile with their hands on their hips.

    "It doesn't feel nice now does it?" They taunted, referring to earlier when she scared the life out of them. She growled, not like a grumble, an audible growl, and hit their cheek lightly. "You're so mean!"

    Her father snickered. "We should've put you in that cage after all..." he mumbled under his breath. Lightbulb slammed her hand on the armrest of the couch and pointed at her dad, "I should've kept you locked out of the house!"

    Mr. Bright threw his hands up, "That was one time! I left my keys in the house and you locked me out! You rascal!"

    Lightbulb giggled teasingly and hid her mouth behind her hand, "I outsmarted you, I outsmarted you!" She cheered, still proud of that moment to this day. She turned to Paintbrush with a devious expression, "And you're next!"

    They took a step back with a worried eyebrow raise, "What do you, uh, mean by that?" They muttered. She shrugged, "I dunno, depends what I wanna do to you!" They stared at her for a moment, seemingly increasingly concerned.

    Lightbulb smiled sweetly, then changed the subject, "Ok! So, what do you wanna do while we wait for my mom to cook?" She didn't mind whatever. As long as they were happy.

    "Hm... could I play your guitar again?" They asked. A smile stretched across her face as she quickly nodded and motioned them to follow her upstairs, "Yeah, come on!"

    Paintbrush chuckled, "Alright, alright!"

    She ran up to her room, practically flinging Paintbrush onto her bed. They yelped, holding onto their forehead, "What's with the rush? It's not like it's gonna disappear in a few seconds!"

    Lightbulb hopped on the bed beside them, kicking her feet eagerly, "I just want to hear you play! Can you play any other songs besides one of yours?"

    Paintbrush scoffed, "What, do you not like my songs anymore? Wow, I thought we were friends, Lightbulb." They sat up and looked to the side, holding up their hand in a, "Talk to the hand," way.

    Lightbulb giggled, hitting their hand away lightly, "No! I still like them! I just wanted to know..." She pouted. They rolled their eyes with a chuckle, "I'm kidding! I wouldn't get mad over that. And, yeah, I do know another song."

    The bed creaked as Paintbrush stood up and went to grab Lightbulb's guitar. She waited patiently for them to sit down and readjust, getting their fingers in the correct position for the first cord.

    "What song are you gonna play?" Lightbulb pondered aloud, laying back on her bed. They smiled softly, "Everything Stays from Adventure Time. It's the first song I learned so I thought I'd be nice to play again."

    "Everything Stays!" Lightbulb cheered, "I loved that song as a kid! I still remember the lyrics." She smiled, looking down at her quickly swinging feet. Paintbrush went silent, strumming softly to figure out the right hold.

    "...would you wanna sing?" Their quiet voice murmured, the strumming stopping for a moment. Lightbulb smirked, "You just wanna hear my beautiful voice, don't you?"