Chapter 23 - Lyrics

Paintbrush blinked their eyes open, feeling warmth all over their body. They lifted their head off the pillow to see Lightbulb sleeping soundly on their chest. They thought they'd be a bit more surprised, but they didn't feel anything like that.

    They smiled softly and slowly began to run their fingers through her hair. They attempted to be careful to not wake her, but that failed as Lightbulb began to stir. They froze and started to feel a bit embarrassed to have been doing that in her sleep.

    "Mmm," she mumbled, "you can keep doing that..."

    Paintbrush heard her quiet plea and responded with a chuckle, beginning to move their hand through her curls again. They continued to brush through her hair, the two of them enjoying the peaceful moment. Their chest rose and fell rhythmically with Lightbulb laying on top of it, her eyes still closed despite being half-awake.

    Nothing made a sound. Until...

    "Good morning y'all! I made some pancakes!" Mrs. Bright announced, practically busting down Lightbulb's door, "Come and-" She paused as she saw the two of them lying together.

    They both quickly scrambled up at the sound of her voice. Paintbrush scooted away from Lightbulb and sat straight up with a nervous chuckle.

    Silence stretched between the three of them before LED let out a loud, "Aww! You two are adorable together! Why didn't you tell me?"

    "Wh-what? Together?" Paintbrush stuttered, glancing away and messing with the strings of their hoodie, "No, we're not dating! We never were!" It pained them to say that, but they had to. It hurt so much to learn that Lightbulb had a crush on someone, and they knew it wasn't them. It couldn't be.

    "Y-yeah! We were just sleeping! No funny business going on here!" Lightbulb agreed with an anxious smile. Mrs. Bright's gaze flicked between the two of them. "Right..." she said with a skeptical tone, "No funny business going on..." she repeated, a sly grin growing on her face as she stepped away from the door and started downstairs.

    "Mother always knows!"

    "Mom! Stop!" Lightbulb giggled, covering her face. She groaned into her palm, "Why is she like this?"

    "Don't ask me, ask your grandma." Paintbrush yawned, their heart still racing from being startled awake. They sighed, looking over to Lightbulb.

    "Well, what did you wanna do today?" They asked, flicking her head playfully. She scoffed and let her hands fall into her lap. "I dunno. Maybe don't flick me and I'll come up with something for you."

    They racked their brain for an activity and gasped in revelation. "Wait, Lightbulb! We can work on our song!"

    "Oh yeah!" Lightbulb chirped, the thought of them teasing her just seconds earlier erased from her mind. "So, how do we do that?"

    "Well, let's try and come up with a topic first. Since it's your song, what would you want it to be about?"

    She glanced down at her hardwood floor as her legs gently swung idly. "Hm... well, maybe it could be about us!"

    "Us?"

    "Yeah! Us! We can both sing!" She cheered, throwing her arms up and falling back against her bed. The springs creaked as the blankets around her puffed up from the sudden diversion of airflow. Paintbrush smiled softly. Aw, she wants us both to sing. That's nice.

    "Well, there's a start. A song about us. What about us would you want it to be about? How we became friends or just our relationship as a whole?" Paintbrush asked, reaching over for their phone on her nightstand. They grabbed it and opened up their notes app, ready to record any ideas Lightbulb was able to come up with.