Chapter 12 - Talk

Lightbulb looked around Paintbrush's room, noticing the piles of clothes and soda cans scattered around the space. She didn't mind it though, nor did she say anything. "I always felt wrong for some reason. No one didn't like me, but I didn't feel like I belonged. I dunno why I never told anyone."

"You never told anyone until...?" Lightbulb turned to them, picking up their covers off the floor, "Until what?"

"Did you ever tell anyone other than me?" Lightbulb stiffened. She didn't respond to their claim, she just turned back to what she was doing. The sound of rustling sheets filled the agonizing silence that consumed the both of them.

"Wh- Lightbulb!" They finally yelled, "You're over here lecturing me about being open and you're not even talking to people! And stop cleaning my room for me!" They grabbed the blanket out of her hand and started folding it themself. Lightbulb was stunned for a moment at their sudden outburst.

"Uhm, sorry," she muttered, looking to the ground. A sigh came from Paintbrush as they sat on the bed, covering their face with their hands. They were quiet for a moment, then spoke with an ashamed voice, "No, I should be sorry. I'm just... being a dick to you. You actually care about me and I'm pushing you away."

Lightbulb gazed down at them sympathetically. Ever since she first discovered them, Paintbrush had seemed like this flawless person with their life together. It was odd to see them acting like this after viewing them with the life they manufactured for their social media.

She sat beside them, her heart rate slowing. Her hand rose to their shoulder comfortingly, "Don't worry about it, it's okay. Sure, I may not get your anger, but I... understand it? Does that make any sense?" a soft chuckle escaped her.

Paintbrush snickered, "Nothing you say ever makes sense," they lifted their face from their hands to look at Lightbulb, letting their elbows rest on their knees, "but I kinda get it, yeah." After a moment of hushed giggles from the two, Lightbulb piped up, "I feel like we both have issues to work out, huh?"

They nodded. "Yeah, we do," they confirmed, putting their arm around her. She chuckled shyly, "But we can fix them together." The pair sat in silence once more. It seemed to be a staple for them. It was a comfortable silence. It wasn't awkward or weird, It felt natural.

Lightbulb softly shifted her weight onto them and leaned her head on their shoulder. A content smile rested on her face, "Now what?" she murmured faintly. They leaned their head against hers.

"We get better, I guess. Not very sure how, though." Paintbrush glanced to the side with an uncertain look on their face. Lightbulb patted their back and stood up hesitantly, "Trial and error probably."

"I feel like you really like using that strategy," they joked, following suit. She scoffed and put her hands on her hips, "Hey! If it works, it works, okay? Don't judge me." Lightbulb flipped her hair sassily with a smug expression on her face. Paintbrush raised an eyebrow and smacked her upside the head, "Alright, dummy, whatever you say."

The fall air blew against Lightbulb as they skipped through the forest, a patient Paintbrush walking behind her. She ran up and jumped over a fallen tree nimbly. They chuckled and jogged up to her, hopping onto it. "Jeez, you can navigate these woods better than me and I stayed in here for hours."

She looked around, admiring the plant life that surrounded the two. Paintbrush suggested they go on a walk through a forest near their home. They explained they always used to venture through it and walk along a creek that flowed into a nearby lake.

"I don't know, maybe you're just slow!" She proclaimed, giggling like a little kid as she ran straight through a spider web. She yelped and stumbled back, swatting at the air, "Ah! Spiderweb!" Her giggles persisted as she gathered the webbing off herself and stuck it to a branch above her. She gave it a few pats and continued her trek to the creek.