Chapter 9

The second night was better than the first. However, just because it was better didn't mean it was okay. On the first night, her whole body ached as if she was beaten everywhere, today it was just stiffness.

Perhaps she was getting used to this pain. Jimin gave a short sigh and wiped the railing diligently.

'From now on, when the princess goes for her night walks, I will hold you instead. Get used to it.'

Jimin recalled the words in her mind. If he held her like this several times, will she get used to this relationship like a pain? Jimin, who was deeply in thoughts, shook her head in disbelief. She could only hope that the princess would not run away any more. Pondering this and that, Jimin's hands gradually slowed as she rubbed the railing. Just then, a loud voice rang.

"What are you doing? Last time you were late, and now you're preoccupied with something else."

She turned around and there stood Charlotte with a sour face. She was always hateful towards Jimin ever since Jimin came to this house. She enjoyed taunting how thin Jimin was and how she couldn't work sufficiently.

"Can't you work faster?"

"I'm sorry."

"I've taken in a child without parents and you don't even know how to be grateful."

Jimin, who was bowing her head, paused. It was a spiteful remark, but it penetrated her heart more clearly than any other. Jimin raised her head in tears.

"Why does it matter if I have parents or not?"

In a flash, Charlotte's eyes widened as she burst out laughing as if it was ridiculous.

"Are you confronting me now?"

"You're only choosing bad words!"

Not to be outdone, Jimin replied frankly. Charlotte has worked in this family for generations, and has the highest rank among maids except for the head maid. She was proud to lead the family to glory as a member of this family. Sometimes she was so proud that she was mean to the maids who came in from outside.

Jimin had never been obedient. She did what she was told to do, but very occasionally she would do everything she could to vent her anger on a bad day. Charlotte hated Jimin, who wasn't respectful, and Jimin hated Charlotte, who was always mean. The two regarded each other as enemies.

"Oh my God!"

In her frustration, Charlotte raised her hand and hit Jimin on the head. Jimin, whose eyes were on fire, raised her voice.

"Why are you hitting me!"

"Because you deserve it!"

"I'm as big as you are!"

Charlotte grabbed Jimin's wrist and pulled her towards her. A moan escaped from Jimin's mouth at the powerful grip.

As Jimin was frowning in pain, Charlotte whispered coldly in her ears.

"Do you want to starve?"

Charlotte was never fair with the food.

"You think I'd let you starve alone? Perhaps, having your friend Hoseokie to starve with you will help to get your senses back."

"Why do you do that to her?"

"If you behave then Hoseokie won't starve."

"Leave Hosekie alone!"

"If you beg, I'll think about it."

Charlotte spoke and laughed. It was an evil laugh.

Jimin bit her lip. She was horrified at the thought that Charlotte would starve Hoseokie because of her doing. In fact, she didn't want to fight. She just acted out of frustration.