Chapter 18

Outside the window, there was a black darkness.

And the stars twinkled in the vast dark sky.

Jimin stared at the stars endlessly and bit her lips again. Her eyes turned red.

Suddenly, she missed her mother.

Whenever Jimin was sick, her mother would stand in front of the fire for hours, boiling soup for her. Then she would put her hand on Jimin's forehead while she dozed off on her pillow to see if she was still hurting. Then Jimin started crying.

"Why are you crying?"

"No, just suddenly...."

Her mother would kiss her forehead if it was hot, kiss her hands and feet if they were cold, and kiss her on her chest if she had a sore spot.

"I miss my mother."

"When I said to cry under me, I didn't mean it that way."

Taehyung's voice was the same as usual, but his language was strangely generous.

"I promise you this. If at any time you wish to go and see your mother again, I will give you another vacation."

With that he put his hand on Jimin's forehead.

It was her forehead that Taehyung was touching, but it was somewhere in her chest that was responding.

A corner of her heart was thumping from earlier. Then, when he removed his hand from Jimin's forehead, her heart jumped a little higher.

Jimin blinked slowly. But it shouldn't have been a big deal.

People were always more emotional when they were sick.

"I'm sick. It had to be."

* * *

Jimin came down the stairs carefully, carrying a full set of white bedding. The castle had a separate staircase for the servants. Unlike the central staircase, which was built with smoothness, this staircase had a slightly steeper feel.

One step at a time, Jimin slowly and carefully walked while checking her feet. Suddenly, someone took the top bedding. When she lifted her head, she saw Charlotte.

"Why do you carry so much? Will you take responsibility if you sprained your foot?"

Charlotte tried to speak as gently as she could, but her usual annoying voice kept leaking out. Perhaps it was very hard on her part.

"No, I'm the one who's going to break my leg......."

Before Jimin could finish her sentence, Charlotte's eyes opened like two big circles and she gave her a half-hearted look. Jimin sneaked a peek at her face and added one more thing.

"I used to carry a lot heavier things. I'm fine."

"You really want to see me get fired, don't you?"

Jimin, who had been thinking for a while, shook her head. Then Charlotte continued with a contrived smile again.

"You'll do some light work for the time being. Is that clear? Master told me not to let you do it."

Jimin nodded reluctantly. If she tried to argue with Charlotte, she would have whined at her the whole time. Jimin walked past Charlotte and headed for Taehyung's bedroom.

Normally, a maid's job before the master's bedtime was to tidy the bed, but he was not interested in Jimin's work. He just concentrated on his thing.

Taehyung was sitting in a chair reading a book. His gaze fixed on the book whether Jimin came in or not, and Jimin glanced at him.