Chapter 29. Side Story: Master's Night (2)

It was not clear when Jimin became special to him. Was it from when she became comfortable, or when she stared at his scars, or when she talked about the stars?

Maybe it was all of those moments added up to make it so. And when the princess said she was going to take Jimin to recuperation, he seemed to have a faint feeling about it.

"I'm thinking of going to recuperate. There are too many eyes here, and I can't see SeokJin comfortably."

"As my wife pleases."

The princess would always sneak out of the castle to see her lover. Even when he wanted to take her to a party or the imperial palace, she pretended to be sick and refused to go. Jungkook had anxiety about failure, even though she seemed easygoing. She didn't want to make a variable that she didn't know because it was officially exposed.

"Are you going to take Jimin with you?"

"Of course. She's my servant."

"I wish you could leave her behind."

The words made Jungkook, who was drinking tea, stop and ask with a curious face.

"Why?"

"Why do I have to explain every little thing to my wife?"

But Jungkook only smiled and added.

"Did you see her when she wore the dress? She was beautiful, wasn't she, Jimin? I would love to have a sister like her. Shall I quickly take her with me when I run away?"

In an instant, Taehyung's gaze turned to Jungkook.

"You seem to want to get your hands on her."

She was joking, of course, but the words came out faster than Jungkook expected. She didn't like that.

"Then I'm sure you will hate me. You didn't want to do that before."

"You don't want to be hated by someone who also has ready access to military secrets. But you can't take Jimin with you."

Jungkook brought her teacup to her mouth and added another in a meaningful tone.

"Do you remember what I told you before? Maybe someday the Count will be able to enjoy the sweetness."

'You really don't know the first thing about people, do you?'

Jungkook had an elegant smile on her face.

Sweetness.

That was the word.

He didn't think he had ever had anything to do with sweetness, but as Jungkook had said, sometimes a moment of unintentional sweetness came.

There were times when his life felt a little sweeter than when he thought it was just bloody. It was when he tasted Jimin's skin and... her smile. There were times when watching Jimin smile, he felt like he was eating sweets.

When he won the war and threw the enemy's head on the ground, he never felt the sweetness.... What a hilarious thing for a little girl to make him feel this way.

"I was looking at the stars. I like to look at the stars."

One day, when he visited Jimin's room, she was looking at the stars.

"I'm glad I'm getting closer to the stars. Now that I'm closer, I'm sure I'll catch it."

He said sarcastically, "Why don't you go to the top of the tower?"

He was good at saying outrageous things sometimes, but then he heard a refreshing voice in his ear.

"My mother said the noble ones become the sun, and the trivial ones like me become a handful of stars scattered across the night sky. She became the stars and always watched over me."