Chapter 28. Side Story: Master's Night (1)

An unhappy parent's marriage was not a reason not to get married, but it was as good a reason as any to postpone it.

Marriage was not much of an interest to Taehyung. Unlike other children of the nobility, he was not interested in marriage, even though he was old enough to marry, and he was not interested in women, either. Then there was his preference for wandering off to strange places rather than establishing and settling down in a stable family, which also pushed him further away from marriage.

He stopped in the alleyways of Astina again today. And there he met a woman he was now quite familiar with.

"Will you not marry, Count?"

Jeon Jungkook. She was the princess of this country.

But she was in a pitiful situation, locked up alone in a secluded room, under the watch of her father, the king. She usually lived a quiet, breathless life, but sneaking out of the castle under her father's watchful eye was her only pleasure.

"I'm going to have to get married soon...."

She seemed to have something to say...

When Taehyung first saw Jungkook, she was dressed as a commoner in a remote alley. And she suddenly asked Taehyung to give her some money. It was typical of a naive princess, even though she was locked up in a castle. There was nothing commoner-like about her, from her clean hands and the way she spoke with her fearless demeanor, so he quickly realized that Jungkook was not of ordinary status.

When he asked what her name was, she replied.

"Jeon Jungkook. My name is Jeon Jungkook."

Jungkook...

Taehyung quietly pondered the name.

She threw him a look and continued speaking in a bitter voice.

"My mother told me. Women naturally suffer because of the men they love. Just like their fathers and husbands."

Jungkook's father, the king of Astina, hated his wife, the queen and Jungkook's mother. He also didn't like Jungkook, who looked just like her, and after his wife died, he hid her from his view, as if she was also his wife.

"So I don't love men, and I'm going to use them."

So...

"Will you marry me?"

Jungkook laughed as she spoke flatly, as if to say, "Have you had tea or dinner?" Gasping, Taehyung could only chuckle .

"If you don't love a man ....What happens to the Princess's lover?"

"That's the exception."

The princess had a man she loved. She said he was an escort knight who had stayed by her side since she was a child. Even if it was a love that she could not fulfill because of her status. For Jungkook, that was.

"I loved him with a passion. He said he didn't care if I didn't love him. He just wants to give me love."

"I'll have to decline. I don't want to be swayed too much by your childish word games. I'm not really interested in your proposal either."

When Taehyung flatly refused, Jungkook complained as if she didn't like it.

"...... Stop being cheap and marry me. It's hard to get a bride as good as me. I may be a naughty girl, but I'm a princess."

Jungkook spoke, blinking her eyes. Her impudence was not offensive to him.There wasn't a shred of rational emotion in it either, but he didn't hate Jungkook. In fact, he liked her. When everyone was scared of him, but Jungkook wasn't. He didn't hate the princess who was alone and pitifully abandoned.