Chapter 24

The castle was already in an uproar.

The maids wanted to know what was going on in their Master's bedroom, and their eyes kept turning to Jimin. It was only natural for them to be curious, since someone was suddenly brought in and there was a lot of noise. They gathered and talked in whispers.

Jimin wiped the tears from her eyes as soon as the maids left the room. But no matter how much she wiped, the corners of her eyes remained damp and she felt suffocated.

Avoiding the gaze of the other maids, Jimin ran to the window on the other side of the secluded hallway. While she was trying to cool her burning eyes, she heard a gentle voice behind her.

"Jimin."

Startled, Jimin turned her head. It was the princess.

She was a kind master.

"...... It's so noisy inside. Did you cry?"

Jimin felt like she was going to burst into tears at the calm voice, no less than the wind that was blowing. More tears came to her eyes as if comforting her sadness. But Jimin held back the tears as best she could.

She was envious and hated Jungkook. But she was distressed that she couldn't even hate her completely for doing her a favor. She blamed herself for being foolish enough to be jealous of her master princess, but as time went by, her heart grew dull. The guilt of hating someone else sank like a sediment, and only her jealousy of her rose to the surface.

"Why are you crying?"

Looking at Jungkook being kind to her again, Jimin felt very ashamed of herself.

There was a moment when she didn't want Jungkook to hate her...

In fact, she still feels the same way now. She didn't want to hate Jungkook or be hated by her. She wanted to go back to the beginning, when nothing had changed for her Lord, his wife, and herself. Jimin hesitated and opened her mouth.

"I'm sorry I look bad."

"It's okay. Actually, this is a secret, but I used to cry secretly when I was a child. It hurt my pride to show that side of me, so I never made it obvious."

Jimin looked at the princess and vaguely guessed that she must have had a different life than most royals. Occasionally, she would say something that sounded like an edge, but sometimes there was a shadow of self-mockery and loneliness attached to the side of her laughter. Was that why she was being attentive to her, a mere servant?

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

'I'm sorry because I hated you.'

'I hated you because I myself was too shabby and weak.'

"I'm not sorry for crying. I'm just sorry."

Jungkook smiled at Jimin and held out something. It was a small fabric pocket.

"Would you like some?"

Jimin stared at Jungkook as if to ask what this was, and she continued speaking again.

"It's a bag of candy. When you're depressed, eating something sweet can make you feel better."

Jungkook motioned for Jimin to take it, but Jimin hesitated, not daring to take it. After Jungkook waved for her to take it immediately, Jimin had no choice but to accept the candy bag.

"Do you like sweet things?"

It was Jungkook who often ate particularly sweet desserts.

"Sweetness is because we know bitterness, it may exist. If you don't know bitterness, you can't enjoy sweetness."