Chapter 12

"Jimin! Where are you going?" Jimin, who was heading to the garden to get Jungkook's hat, glanced back on hearing Hoseokie's voice.

"Uh, I left something in the garden."

Jimin was a maid in charge of the princess, so her main task was to take care of the princess, but whenever she had time, she also did common things such as cleaning and laundry. Today, she was wiping the floor of the drawing room while the princess was taking a nap, and she remembered having left the princess' hat.

"I think the Princess is good."

"Yes, she is."

"She looks good with the master, doesn't she?"

"Yes...yes."

Somehow the night from a few days ago came to mind. The affectionate voice that called out 'Jungkook', must have shaken her more than she thought.

Maybe she was a little shocked that a cruel man who cut down countless people and led the war to victory, called someone's name that way.

"......maybe it's love."

Does a man in love have such a lonely face/ cave like a leaf fluttering in the wind?

She was absent-minded in that thought, and confused.

Wait, if that's the case... can't he just do it with the princess?

"Love?" asked Hosekie in a curious voice as she looked at Jimin, who had a different expression every minute.

"No, it's just that I don't think I can sleep with someone I don't love."

"Didn't you say that before too?"

"Oh, yeah, I did. Maybe it's because I can't understand it. Even if you're married, you may like someone else. But how can you like someone else..."

Suddenly, Jimin, who made eye contact with Hosekie staring at her, shook her head.

"I'm sorry. I keep saying nonsense, don't I? But why..."

"Because love and desire are different."

Jimin's lips were blanked by a different firm answer.

Hoseokie's eyes seemed to be telling her to come to her senses, so she couldn't bear to face it and had to lower her eyes.

"So men touch women while thinking of other women."

"Is that possible?"

"All of them have a woman they like. When you think about it more, you'll understand. In a word, they're just a substitute."

"...what's wrong?"

Jimin pursed her lips and frowned.

So, she was the princess's replacement.

'You should replace the princess.'

She thought he was joking, but did he actually mean it? Is she just a substitute for a princess who runs away every time? A self-loathing smile made her lips arch up at these endless thoughts.

"Oh, you don't have to prepare a bath just because Master won't come in today. I'm excited."

"Really? That's great."

Hoseokie was happy that she could go to bed earlier, but Jimin couldn't smile. The warm wind seemed to make her chest feel heavier.

* * *

"The tea tastes better today," said the princess, who took her mouth off the teacup.

"It's probably milder because the tea leaves were dried." Jimin shrugged as if she had been praised, with a light smile.