The right time

Rome's pov:

"So that is why David was delaying the wedding." I muttered.

We had less than a fucking day left. My head throbbed just by thinking about the consequences had I not found the documents sooner.

We could've been stripped off completely, but why would father make such an agreement in the first place?

"But how could that be? The government and police cannot be involved in our matters. They wouldn't even recognise our rights in the first place, let alone hear us out." Dante said, his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"Aldo Emiliano. My father's right hand." I said.

It was all clicking in place now. David had agreed despite knowing my intentions because we were always monitored closely by Aldo.

David was just buying himself some time by doing all these pesky little acts. The moment we'd cross the time mentioned in the paper, he'd suck us out like a leech. He would sell the mafia once he had it under himself to Russian buggers he was oiling all this time.

"What? He's alive? How?" I heard Luca say, confusion and distress evident in his voice.

"He was never dead. Only the Don and the closest to the Don have known about the Emiliano family since as long as the mafia has stood.
They live in the shadows, surveying everything for the Don and never once being anything other than passionate and loyal.
They guard our wishes for us and come out of their hidings only when required. Once I would've crossed the date mentioned, he would make the document go public. This was what we could say would be like when a president is thrown out of his office during their serving period because of majority of the parliament voting for them to be removed. The mafia and it's men wouldn't recognise me as their Don anymore and we'd be ripped off of every last grain." I explained to them, their faces turning different shades from realisation.

Kate's hand squeezed mine as she looked at me, "I'm ready." she said.

I was shocked she said that without me having to ask or beg her. And saying she was 'ready', thinking it made me feel things.

"You're sure?" I said lowly, my heart picking up pace. I was part scared and parth thrilled. Scared of if she'd change the decision after thinking twice and thrilled that she would really be my wife now.

My Kate, my cara, my wife, my love. All mine, on papers, in heavens and on earth.

"Yes, without hesitation if it meant I could be with you." she smiled.

I crashed my lips to her, I didn't care if there were people around. People infront of who I'd swore my entire life I'd never love someone enough to publically show them affection.

My heart stopped at the realisation, I opened my eyes and found Kate already looking at me.

The emotions in her gaze mirrored mine, I felt so full and overwhelm my chest was squeezing.

I would not lose to David, not this time. I'm going to save my family, I'm goin to retain this mafia and prove to them that morality doesn't weaken us.

I wanted to say it, scream it out loud on the top of my lungs but I was afraid the universe would hear it. It would hear me utter those words once again and snatch her right away from me.