Chapter 7 | Suck it up

WELCOME BACK, SAM REED!

MAY 3RD, 1980, VIRGINIA.

The 32-year-old woman scanned through a newspaper from New Jersey.

If you were to mention she's stalking New Jersey Crystal Lake news- she'd deny it until she was dead.

In truth- she eyed the place like a hawk for a decade. Through her therapy, she's been unable to get the place out of her mind. Usually, she thinks about the drowning- but lately, she's been thinking about the place as a whole.

Sam remembered when her mother fell into alcohol addiction when she was young. She constantly dropped her off at the camp during the school year so she could be out of her hair.

Now, nearly two decades later, her mom was going through addiction therapy. She was a nicer woman now and ended up divorcing her dad. His manipulative behavior had grown into abusive behavior- to the point he'd try hurting Sam herself.

Fortunately- She was able to get through to her mom. She's been recovering nicely- approaching one year of sobriety.

Scanning the newspaper- Sam noticed an advert that made her heart skip a beat.

VOLUNTEERS REQUESTED!
CAMP CRYSTAL LAKE IS GOING THROUGH RENOVATION! HOPEFULLY, IN THE NEAR FUTURE, CRYSTAL LAKE COUNTY CAN RE-OPEN THE CAMP FOR CHILDREN ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

PLEASE CALL AT (609-265-5000)

She pursed her lips, her eyes looking over her newspaper and at the couch in her home.

Tammy was sprawled out, season 2 of Magnum, P.I., on the box television droning on. In her hands was a relatively new Gameboy. She was playing The Amazing Spiderman.

The two women lived together in a small home. Tammy was a law firm secretary, and Sam worked at a local school for struggling and disabled children. With their combined checks- they can afford small enjoyments in life such as Gameboy's.

Seeing as the landline was in the kitchen- she tapped her fingertips on the tabletop in thought.

Fuck it.

Closing the newspaper, she stood up from the dining table. "Ta-Taking a call in the k-kitchen." She alerted Tammy, "D-Don't in-interrupt."

Her stutter has gotten monumentally better- but she was told by her speech therapist it may never fully go away.

"Uhuh." Tammy mindlessly responded, rapidly pressing a button on the Gameboy as she fought bad guys in-game.

Thirty-three years old and Tammy had grown addicted to playing games.

Passing through the open doorway into the kitchen- she picked up the heavy landline and sprawled the newspaper on the counter. She slowly copied over the number.

AT&T's extra 2 dollars a month would finally be worth it with this long-distance call.

Leaning her plump butt against the counter, she held the landline to her ear and mindlessly listened to the ringing. God- she's always been self-conscious of her body as a bigger lady.

The fashion industry definitely didn't care for women with wider torsos, hips, and tummies like her. You know... the natural female body. High-waisted pants with big belts were totally in right now.

Even Tammy had started making her brown hair frilly to match trends. Sam settled with her straight, shoulder-length, ginger hair.

She scoffed at the thought. 

"Burlington County Office, this is Robert; how can I help you?" A deep male voice robotically responded.

"Hi," Sam cleared her throat. This is where her therapy comes in handy. "I-I'm calling about the..." She stopped a stutter, "Camp volunteering."

"Ah, right." Paper rustled in the background, "Camp Crystal Lake, correct?"

She winced at the name but nodded as if he could see her. "Yes."

"Great. The program is set to begin from June 15th to 30th, 1984." Robert replied fluently, his chair squeaking as he leaned back in it.

"Wow- 4 y-years?" Her brows raised.

"Yep." He'd say, "County members anticipated we'd get very few volunteers- and since they'll be staying for so long, we needed to send out adverts early."

Before she could reply, he asked, "Still want to sign up?"

"... Yes." She breathed.

"Great. Full name and number?"

 Full name and number?"