Chapter 30 | Catching up to Speed

YOU'RE FLEEING FROM DESTINY, SAMANTHA

THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.

She tumbled through the woods like a roaring hurricane.

The monsters won't come out if new people are in the camp. Her boisterous running would scare away bears, and bobcats would have no interest in her.

Her grip on the fire axe's handle tightened. She worshipped its existence as if it were Jesus Christ's resurrected body.

Her swamp-green eyes widened at three figures trembling in front of a rundown cabin door. The rickety steps leading from the pathway required TLC- the porch also had questionable durability. Overbearing vines lined the walls- nature attempting to steal back its wood.

One of the figures was a man. He had a dark green hoodie, its hems covered in mud, with cargo pants firmly held against his waist. He had short blonde hair sticking in different directions.

It was a community service member- Tommy Jarvis. He held onto a 1980 Browning Shotgun.

Trish Jarvis was fiddling with the aged door with trembling hands. Her blonde hair was tied in a messy ponytail- strands sticking out in every direction.

Sam's attention fixated on the middle-aged woman in the trio. Her presence was a sight for sore eyes.

Her brunette hair was frilly to match recent trends. It was shoulder length, the curls particularly messy due to the situation, with her cowlick bangs in her eyes.

A tight pink tank top hugged her frame, with black leggings curving her thighs. Tammy was slightly thinner than Sam- but their lifestyles were nearly identical. She was practically her sister.

That exact woman was fighting off a horrendous-looking squirrel creature. It chipped and hissed at her with bumbling, thunderous rage.

Tammy kept the creature at bay with a long stick. The end of it was bloody- the cuts along the beast's arms and chest making it evident why. Murky blood snailed down its hairless body.

She pointed a flashlight at it with her spare hand.

Spotting her best friend in this situation was the best thing that could happen.