2. Have a Little Faith

The dark, tattered curtains were closed but now and again there would be a flash of bright light that illuminated the room, putting the soft glow of the candles to shame. A few moments later, the room would shake with thunder and everyone would go quiet.

The storm was passing overhead, and Chris flinched when the sound erupted outside. Pilot placed a gentle hand over his, caressing his thumb against the back of his hand and he seemed to relax, sinking further into the sofa, leaning into the touch.

"We don't even know who those guys are," Chris said, making conversation to distract himself. "Their operation might not be as big as we think."

Ben released a quiet breath. "They've got a helicopter, Chris... I'd say that's pretty big."

The weary looks in their eyes said everything they didn't dare speak. They were close to giving up. Whoever the people were in the helicopter, they were bigger than what we could face. The odds were against us more than they had ever been, and yet, the likelihood was we'd die trying to fight them.

"Does Julia know you gave me an extra dose of the serum?" I asked, steering the subject away from something too big for right now.

Ben shuffled his body closer to mine, the warmth of his body pressing through my jacket. "We thought it was best not to tell her," he said in a low voice. "She doesn't need any more stress with the state she's in."

In the moment, using the serum had been their only option. But I was still uneasy about how they'd decided it on a whim.

"She'll have to know," I said. "She's the only one who's going to know the effect it would've had."

Chris exhaled. "Em, you sound like you wish we hadn't used it."

I looked down at my hands. Only I could see how stained with blood they were, thick dark stains that no scrubbing would ever get rid of. Only I could see the scars from where blades had slashed at my skin. Only I could still feel everything they couldn't see.

"You saved me, again I know that...." I spoke, trying to find my voice. "But you guys aren't going to be able to protect me anymore. Not with things like this happening. I don't want you to."

Ben pressed himself closer against me, heat radiating off him like my own personal blanket. "We're not leaving you- I'm not leaving you behind, Em. Not anywhere."

"No," I refused. "That's what I'm talking about. You have to." My stare met his and I looked between him, Chris and Pilot. "I mean it. If it's my life or one of yours, you have to pick yours. I won't let you save me if it puts one of you at risk."

Ben pulled my body into his, my arms still wrapped around my legs. "It's not going to come to that," he murmured as I rested my head against his shoulder. "It's going to be fine. Everything's going to be fine."

I let myself believe it for a moment, but I knew he was lying.

"What's going to be fine?" Julia said as she pushed the door open.

I hadn't even heard the stairs creak, but she immediately collapsed next to Chris on the sofa, wincing as she strained. Sophia wasn't far behind her, bounding into the room with a grin on her face carrying a fluffy stuffed rabbit.

"Hey, Soph," Chris greeted, holding out his arms. She planted herself in his lap and she leant back against him, showing off her animal.

"What's going to be fine?" Julia asked against the cushions, her eyes barely open.

"Everything," Ben dismissed. "Nothing to worry about at all."

Chris scoffed. "Apart from the obvious question of what happens now?" Sophia quickly wriggled off him to sit on the floor and he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "We can't stay here. The gate isn't secure enough to keep anything out."