17. All or Nothing

Julia was escorted from the hotel by two men in blue outfits. She winced at each movement but with each step, they were there to hold her weight.

"I hope you're stocked up on painkillers," she said as she limped down the stairs. "Because I'm going to need them all."

One of the men laughed. "Don't worry," he said. "We've got something a lot stronger than everyday painkillers."

"Oh," Julia exhaled. "That's the best thing I've heard all week."

I rested a hand against her arm before they helped her into the car. "I'll come and visit you later, okay?"

She gave a weak smile. "By the sounds of it, I might be passed out by then."

The men helped her the rest of the way into the truck and shut the door behind her. Lucy met me at the bottom of the hotel steps, placing a hand against my arm.

"She's in good hands," she said softly. "I promise." All I could manage was a small nod as the truck drove off across the field. "Come on," Lucy continued. "Let me give you guys the tour."

*

The room was exactly as I expected from a seaside hotel, only this one had seen less housekeeping than it might have a few years prior. 

The carpet was a dull grey and had faded in the small areas that were visible. Certainly, it was a lot more crowded than the occupancy the room was originally built for. A combination of the large hotel bed, camp beds and sleeping bags filled the room with little space for any other kind of movement. They had been covered with duvets and blankets of clashing colours and materials, each one scavenged from a different place, but they were enough to keep us warm, and that was all we needed.

"Cosy," Chris said, stepping over a sleeping bag to get to the window. "But that view is half decent." 

He was right. On the far wall, a grand window spread floor to ceiling, revealing the world outside. Once, it would've made a nice postcard.

Beyond the glass, the ocean lay on the horizon with rippling waves and crystal white, foam-topped crests. Cliffs that stood tall with solid rocks surrounded the sea, protecting Land's End from its full force. I couldn't help but think it was the natural brilliance of the world spread out before us, a daily reminder that there was normality out there if we only had a second to breathe it in.

"Soph should have the bed," I gestured a lazy hand, turning from the window.

"I agree," Chris replied. "The rest of us can take turns between the sleeping bags and the beds."

"Sorry it's a little crowded," Lucy said from the doorway. "We've learned to make it work."

"We've slept in worse places," Ben replied. "So, thank you."

Lucy smiled at the polite answer before she looked at her watch. "Anyone hungry? I think they should have started cooking by now."

"Starved," Chris said.

"Great!" she chimed. "You can leave your stuff here."

Ben looked around at the rest of us as Chris exchanged a glance that was easy enough for anyone to understand.

"Or you can bring them with you if it makes you feel more comfortable..." Lucy added.

"Yeah," Ben nodded. "For now."

*

The pub Lucy led us to was next door to the hotel. It couldn't have been described as anything other than typical old English countryside. The type of pub that would've looked out of place anywhere other than on the edge of a cliff. The type of pub I used to love.