39. Anger With Strategy

The waiting was the worst part. Through the dark, tinted windows I could see Tom and Ben walking in our direction. Donut sat up straight in the front seat, his right hand resting over the wheel. My breath caught and I coughed. They were almost at the car, and I could feel my heartbeat in my throat.

"Showtime," he muttered to me.

The passenger door opened, and Ben's face appeared in view. His jaw clenched and he inhaled a deep breath before pulling his lips into his mouth.

"Welcome aboard," Donut greeted, glancing over his shoulder.

Tom entered through the door to my right, clicking on his seatbelt with one swift motion. "Lights are off at the hotel," he confirmed. "We're clear."

"Good to go?" Ben asked the car.

Donut nodded. "All set."

The rain began to beat against the dark truck, hammering a harder rhythm with each passing second. It was like a timer, counting each second down until we were caught. 

In the night, the rest of Land's End was an endless silence. No chatter, no weapons, no noise. Nothing to hide the purr of the engine as we bumped across the field towards the far gate. I didn't know how Ben and Tom had bundled Simon's body in the boot, I didn't want to think about it. I only hoped it was covered enough that no one would suspect anything if they were to open it.

"You sure we're covered?" Tom asked, leaning forward.

"We should be," Ben confirmed, watching as the gates drew nearer. Donut slowed the car as we approached, one of the guards waved his hand in front of the truck for us to stop. His movements were slow as he stepped around, knocking twice on the window.

Donut pressed the button and the glass barrier disappeared.

"Where are you headed?" the guard asked, ducking his head to see all of us. "It's a bit late for an excursion."

"Urgent priority from Will," Ben replied calmly. "We caught wind of something earlier and he wants us to check it out."

The guard scowled. "What might that be?"

"We're not to say," he replied, with a shrug. "Just following orders."

He rolled his eyes. "Wait here," he said. "I'm going to have to call it in."

The guard stepped away from the truck and none of us dared to speak, not even as he pulled the walkie-talkie from his belt. It was only as he took a few steps around to the back of the truck that my blood ran cold. I twisted to where he stood. The guard's expressions were more animated as he held the box to his mouth. After a few moments, he stepped back to Donut's window and pushed the walkie-talkie through.

"He wants to talk to you."

Ben took it from him and pressed the button down to talk. "Hello?"

"Ben?" the voice came from the box in his hands.

"Yeah, it's me."

The guard watched intently through the window.

"Remind me how long this patrol is supposed to last?"

Ben adjusted his grip on the walkie. "Could be a few hours," he spoke into it. "It's hard to tell."

Outside the truck, one of the other guards caught our attention. He called over the one who stood outside the truck, waving his hand. The one who watched us gave a stern look before he stepped away towards the gate, leaving us alone with the walkie.

"He's stepped away," Ben explained to Will. "If there was any other way for doing this, we'd be doing it," Ben said.

"What if GUN catch you?" he countered. "They had patrols out last week. They're closing in."