42. Indigo

"Jesus!" Lucy shouted, running at us as I opened the door. "What the fuck happened? We were all worried sick about you!"

"We're okay," Donut replied, taking the lead. "There was a problem with the truck, and we got trapped by a herd a few miles out...

She looked around the group, and we watched as her brows pulled together. "Will said it was a patrol, what did you guys find?"

The knot in my stomach twisted tighter. Ben shook his head. "Nothing," he replied quietly. "Before we came here, we saw messages that looked like there was another group who needed help." Ben's lie was effortless, and his hands twisted in front of his body making it more believable. "Looked like they were long gone by the time we got there, but it was eating us alive not knowing whether we could've helped them."

"That's all it was for?" she scowled. "To try and help people?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I met her eyes with an empty stare. Slowly, I nodded my head. "It was never our intention to scare anyone," my voice cracked. "We're sorry."

"Shit," Lucy pulled us all in. "Thank God you guys are okay!" she let us go and took a step back. "You guys must be exhausted... Come on, let's get you cleaned up."

Lucy led the way back to the hotel room. Every few moments she would glance over her shoulder, making sure we were all still there, like we could disappear at any moment. The morning air was cold against my skin, sending goosebumps along my arms and under my jumper. Underneath the fabric, the plaster was taped firmly against my forearm, and I only hoped I could keep it hidden long enough for the bruise to fade. 

I exhaled a breath and a pale cloud suspended itself in front of me. I blew another, leaning my head back to the sky to watch it drift, mingling with the frosty morning. Ben's hand wrapped itself around mine and he leaned his body in closer where his warmth bled through his jumper. In all my exhaustion he was still my comfort, keeping me tethered to myself.

Inside the room, Lucy took a seat on the bed. "I know you all probably want to go straight to sleep but I have to check... Were you telling me the truth?"

I looked to Ben who shifted but still didn't give anything away. 

He lifted his head, looking directly at Lucy. "We told you the truth, Luce... We didn't expect there to be a herd and we got caught out. We really didn't mean to scare anyone..."

"Okay," she whispered, taking off her jacket and holding it between both arms.

"I'm really sorry," Ben lied. "It won't happen again."

"It's okay," Lucy repeated. She looked up, glancing at each of us. "There's just something you guys should know..." She dropped her jacket onto the bed and sat down gently on the mattress.

"What?" Tom scowled.

"Simon is missing," she said. "Nobody has seen him since yesterday morning and he's not in his room... That's why we were so worried about you lot. I thought something might have happened to all of you."

"Shit," Ben whispered. "We had no idea... He wasn't with us if that's what you wanted to ask."

She shook her head gently. "I trust you guys enough that I know you'd tell me if that was the case..." Her hand rubbed at her neck. "I guess I was hoping he would be with you, that's all... When word gets out it's going to start a panic. I know it."

"You don't know for sure," I sat down beside her and placed a hand against her back. "The people here trust you."

She attempted a smile. "And Simon was the one who calmed everyone down... As much as I didn't believe what he said, people needed it."