38. Draw The Line

Outside, the sun was setting. A fiery orange burned in the sky and cast a golden hue across each of us. The wind was sharp as we walked to the truck. It pierced through my skin like a million pins sitting on the surface. That stinging feeling hung around me like smoke, suffocating each breath and reminding me of the knife I had used. 

I squeezed my fingertips and looked out to the clouded horizon. The relentless waves crashed harder against the rocks, breaking pieces away as seawater launched into the air on impact.

I stood up straighter, grateful for the wind carrying our voices from anyone who might be nearby. "We have to go back to Dr Lawson," I whispered.

Ben's glorious brown eyes flickered with gold. "We can't." 

He glanced over his shoulder, to the crowds of people that were milling around, walking to and from their jobs. Somehow, Land's End had returned to normalcy wherever they could. It was almost unsettling. I could never even try to forget what was outside the gates. I wouldn't know where to start. 

"We promised we'd leave them to it. If we go, it'll draw more attention to us and them." His grip around my hand began to tighten, firm like he didn't want to let go. Through everything, he wanted to protect me. But he couldn't.

"I know what we said, but this hasn't left us much choice... It's only a matter of time before they come after me."

That sparkle in his eyes darkened. "I'm not going to let that happen." 

His words were a fresh knock to the stomach, the gut reaction I'd hoped wouldn't come. The realisation that everything was starting to spiral and nothing I could do would end it.

"You can't stop it," I said. "Not this time."

He moved his hands to his face and began to rub at his cheeks. He squeezed his eyes shut as his fingers ran through his hair, tugging at his roots through to the ends. It was all sinking in, slowly and then all at once. The realisation I had, now shifting to Ben. These moments we were experiencing were ones we had not anticipated for a while yet. And they had been my fault.

Tom stepped in front of us. "Any idea how we're getting past the gates?"

Ben stopped still, his darkened eyes wandering the field before looking to the gate and his jaw clenched.

"Ben," Tom said instantly, a warning tone to his voice. "We're not those kinds of people. We don't need to kill for the sake of it."

Ben's stare met his. They reminded me of brothers in the way they spoke. "We need to buy ourselves some time," he replied.

Tom stood with him, scoffing like he couldn't believe the words he was hearing. "And how do you expect us to do it without anyone noticing?"

Ben paused. He bit at his bottom lip, blinking slowly as his gaze wandered the thick grass.

"What happens after, huh?" Tom pressed. "Where do we go from there? Where do we draw the line?"

Ben flicked his hardened stare to me and then back to Tom. That warm light had extinguished and only the smouldering ashes remained. "We draw the line wherever we need to. That's how this works."

Tom narrowed his daggered stare. "Whatever you're thinking, stop it," he ordered. "Find Will, tell him we need his approval on the gate when the time comes... Em, come with me."

*

We found Chris and Pilot together, looking out at the ocean and its crashing waves against the cliffs. They stood close together, their bodies touching as Chris' head rested against Pilot's shoulder. It was a picture-perfect moment, and I was about to ruin it.

"Em?" Chris turned, noticing my widened eyes and the person standing beside me. "Tom? What's wrong?"

"Simon's dead," I swallowed. Chris's face paled and his mouth dropped open. "We're going back to Dr Lawson. Tonight."

Beside him, Pilot seemed almost curious. Maybe there was even a sense of uneasiness in his tone. "What happened?"

I froze. My gaze shifted and I couldn't look either of them in the eye.

"Em?" he pressed.

My head shook, my voice unable to find the words to explain it.

He turned. "Tom?"

Tom pulled his lips into his mouth before he spoke. "There was a situation in the Church," he explained for me. "Simon had her trapped."

I felt their stares on me. They burned into my skin, the shame, and the disappointment interwoven together. The selfishness my actions had caused froze in their expressions.

"Who else knows?" Chris asked, finally removing his stare from me.

"Ben and Julia," he replied.

Pilot didn't miss a beat. "Is there a plan?

I folded my arms across my stomach. "We're dealing with the body and then going on to Dr Lawson."

Chris lifted an arm to scratch the back of his neck. "It's all kicking off now, isn't it...?" he muttered. "It's going to be too obvious if I come with you again. They're already still asking questions from last time."

I shifted my stare. "Pilot?"

He exhaled a heavy breath, his dark eyes glistening an interest. "While I'd hate to miss a room full of pissed-off scientists, I think I know someone better you can take with you."

"They'd be up for it?"

The corner of his lip lifted. "100 percent."

Chris grabbed my arm before we turned. "Does Will know?"

I nodded. "He will soon."

His brows pulled together. "Look after each other out there."

*

The bonfire burned in smouldering embers. It had yet to be re-stoked for tonight and so far, only small breaths of warmth came from the petty flames. One man sat on the log with empty seats surrounding him.

"Pilot," the man greeted. "What's with all the sly messages? What's going on?"

I stepped from behind Pilot, folding my arms as he scowled at me.

"What's she doing here?" His tone turned defensive.

"Got a mission for you, Donut," Pilot explained. "You up for it?"

His shoulder seemed to relax slightly and his body loosened. "That depends on what it is," he half shrugged, and his eyes briefly narrowed to Tom. "And who else is coming..."

Pilot looked across and waited for me to continue. "We need help dealing with a body before we go back to the lab..." I said quietly.

"A body?" his brows raised in peaked interest. "Now, you have my attention," he narrowed his eyes.

Pilot exhaled beside me. "I'll leave you to talk," he said. "I have a feeling Chris is going to be worrying."

Donut shuffled closer. "So," he exhaled, a glint in his eye. "Can I ask whose body it is?"

"That depends," I said.

"On what?"

"On whether we can trust you."

A smirk formed on his lips. "Trust?" he cocked a brow, sneaking a glance at Tom who stood with his arms crossed. "Don't I already know all there is to know about you?"

"Maybe," I replied. "But things are changing now. I want to make sure you're still on the right side."

"I know where my allegiances lie," he said in a low voice. "You weren't the only one stuck in that lab for a year."

"I mean it," I nodded. "We don't have time for people who won't commit. People will die if we're not all in."

"Are you questioning my capability to pull a trigger, Harrison?" he asked.

"I need a guarantee. Everything changes after tonight and either way, I'm still the enemy. So yeah, forgive me for wanting to confirm whether your gun is going to be pointed at the right person."

"I have my orders," his lip twitched upward again. "Lead the way, Sargent."