Epilogue

"How are we all doing today?" I asked the group. 

We sat together in a circle in the cabin. Some sat with cushions on the floor, others on the sofa or plastic chairs. Since more of them had decided to join, almost double since the first session, we'd had to make more and more room. It was the best kind of difficulty we could've had. 

That evening, I looked around and saw all of them smiling back. Someone had lit a candle and the smell of cinnamon and vanilla burned in the centre of the group. There was something about it all that felt like home.

"I looked in the mirror this morning," one of them spoke. "The first time."

I smiled, feeling proud. "Excellent news," I said, grasping my hands together. "How was it for you?"

"I thought I'd hate the reflection," she said. "And I did at first, but I forced myself to keep looking... I think I like my eyes now, they're unique."

I leaned across and rested my hand against her arm. "They're beautiful," I said. "Never be ashamed of them."

"I always wanted cool eyes when I was a kid," another of them spoke. "Can't get more unique than this."

The group laughed together, and it was music to my ears. "Anyone else?" I asked, wanting them to open up more. "What's a positive thing that's happened this week? Doesn't matter how small."

"I started learning archery," one of the men said.

"That's great!" I beamed.

The man beside him nudged him in the side. "He hasn't managed to hit the target yet, though."

"Hey, progress is progress," I said. "Let us know when you do, and someone can bring a cake to the next session."

A woman shot up her hand. "I have a new recipe I've been wanting to try!"

I laughed. "Even better." A young woman who sat on a pillow on the floor raised her hand. She'd not spoken up at any of the sessions before and all eyes turned to her. "Yes?" I said softly.

Her hand dropped down to her lap. "How did you reconnect with people?" she asked in a quiet voice. "When I try and talk to someone I feel as if they're only thinking about one thing and they're not paying attention. I can't help but feel like nobody is listening to the words I'm saying."

I exhaled. "I understand, and I know exactly where you're coming from," I replied. "This is something we knew was going to take time... Not only do we have to adjust but the world must adjust too. We're not going anywhere so we keep pushing forward, knowing that our voices mean something and that we deserve to be heard."

"How was Ben with you?" another asked. "When he saw you for the first time after?"

These were the questions they had been wanting to ask, wanting to understand what it was like from someone who had been there the longest. 

"He was... determined," I said with a smirk. "I had a lot of anger built up back then, and I didn't want to hear a word from him." I swallowed and looked around the faces staring back at me. "If it wasn't for Ben, and him not giving up on me, I can't tell you where I'd be now... Ben gave me everything I wanted, everything I ever asked for... and everything I didn't." The comment was met by a few smiles in the crowd. "I've never met anyone before who could ruin my life so completely and I'd be happy about it."

"What do you think comes next for all of us?" one asked. "Do you believe this really is a new start?"

I lifted my head with a smile. "The world ended, but we're the ones who will define what comes next," I said. "It can only be us because we know everything they don't."

The door creaked open, and the group shifted their stares. Ben rested his hands against my shoulders, squeezing gently. 

"Hey," he said behind me. "I'd hate to interrupt but do you lot mind if I borrow my fiancée for a moment?"

One of them grinned at us. "Go ahead," she said. "I'm sure we can manage."

I let Ben take me by the hand and pull me from the cabin. Before the door closed, I heard their conversations return, jokes and laughter falling from them in effortless life. The mere sound of it all relaxed my soul and calmed my anxiety. They were coping, and we were dealing with everything else together.

"What did you need that couldn't wait?" I asked Ben with a grin.

There was a sparkle in his eyes, a mischievous glint in his irises that made everything melt inside me. 

"I missed you," he said, pulling me closer and landing his lips against mine.

I laughed into the kiss. "You're adorable."

"How are they getting on?" he asked, still holding onto my arms.

I nodded. "They're all doing well... It's like they're re-building themselves. Every day it's like they're making more and more progress, I'm stunned by it all myself."

"That's amazing," he breathed. "I'm so proud of you."

"Of us," I corrected. "There's no way I could've done any of this without you." He grinned again and planted a kiss against my forehead. "There must've been another reason you needed me?"

"Come with me," he grinned. "I didn't want you to miss this."

He took my hands and pulled me away from the building, towards the edge of the cliff where the night shone brighter than it ever had. At the edge of Land's End, the world opened before me. 

The waves sparkled in the night, shimmering white crests as the water moved beneath us and the colours were so clear it was like it had been painted in front of us. Beside me, his silhouette shifted.

"Look to the stars," he spoke softly. 

His neck lifted and he placed a hand against my lower back. I followed his stare and my chest clenched. It did the lurching feeling it's done before. My body had reacted but the thoughts had not yet reached me. I was speechless.

The stars gleamed like a net of dazzling sequins. Each one commanding its space against the darkness, each one there for a reason. The closer I looked the more the constellations appeared, the more the pictures formed in the sky like shimmering works of art. 

Ben's hand moved against my back and static danced under his touch as a silver star shot across the night. I gasped and his head turned to watch me. He took a step closer to stand behind me, and he wrapped his arms around my waist, nestling his head against my shoulder. His scent was intoxicating, wrapping itself around me, and holding me closer to him. 

With him, I was embellished in the perfect moment, and together, we watched the glistening graveyard fall into the night.