57. You're In Control

Lucy turned to the tents. "Medics!" she screamed. "Ben, could you go and make sure they all come out? Try and brief them as best you can. Make sure they're prepared for deep wounds."

Ben nodded and ran off to the tent where several were already coming from, carrying large bags of equipment for the ones who wouldn't be able to walk far.

"Em!" Lucy shouted through the fence. "You know what they're feeling," she said, stepping closer. "I think you should try talking to them, calm them down."

I nodded. "I'll do my best."

As Lucy walked away, calling the guards to open the gates, I removed the contacts that had been planted in my eyes since EDIN. Always paranoid without them and still uncomfortable having to wear them. 

I made my way to the woman first. She almost collapsed completely to the ground but held herself up as the gates pulled open.

"What happened to me?" she gasped. 

Her hand moved to her chest, feeling for each breath. I understood in the way she looked at me that she was recognising herself again, finding the way her body moved, having control of it all.

I knelt beside her as a medic looked at her leg. "You're okay," I said, looking her in the eye. "You're in control now. It's you again."

"I couldn't-" she started. "I watched... I watched it all happen." Her brows furrowed and her stare dropped. "I hurt people?" 

There were deep cuts and scratches on her face, but I was most fascinated by her eyes. They were white, like mine, but there was a silver beauty to them that was captivating.

"I'm just like you," I told her. "We weren't in control of our bodies. Everyone here understands that... Do you remember your name?"

She scowled deeper, looking to the ground. "Amber," she replied, meeting my stare. "My name is Amber Miller."

I smiled, holding both of her hands. "Welcome back, Amber."

The medic looked up from bandaging her leg. "She's okay to move. If you want to take her over to the tent there will be someone waiting."

"Thank you," I nodded at him. "Are you alright to stand?" I asked Amber. 

She held on to me with a tighter grip and I lifted her slowly. Leaning against me, she lifted the pressure off her leg.

"This must all be a bit overwhelming for you," I said as we limped towards the tent. 

We passed Will embracing Rose in a tight hug. They both seemed teary-eyed and didn't let go as we walked by. 

"I'm not sure how much you remember about being human," I said, turning back to Amber. "I know when I was cured my memories didn't come back for a few weeks."

"My sister," she croaked. "I have a sister."

My brows pressed together. "That's incredible you remember," I said. "Do you remember her name at all? Maybe we can try and find her."

Amber held me tighter, wincing when she put too much pressure on her bad leg. We were almost at the tent and one of the medics was standing outside, ready to take her in.

"Julia," she gasped. "Her name was Julia..."

The moment the medic took Amber's weight from me, my knees almost buckled. Ben caught sight of me and hurried over. I attempted a smile. Though I knew nothing showed on my face as Amber stepped inside behind the cloth. 

Ben had the biggest grin I'd ever seen, and he didn't slow his speed as he reached me. He picked me up and gripped me tightly as he spun around, squealing in delight. For a moment, I allowed myself to fall into him, to let him hold me as everything slowed around us.

"That was amazing!" he shouted. "Look at what we did! Look at what you did!" he exclaimed, words tumbling from his mouth with unfiltered excitement. His spins slowed when he noticed my lack thereof. "What's wrong?" he scowled, still gripping my arms. "Are you hurt?" he asked, looking me up and down.

I shook my head, the tears beginning to well. "I'm fine," my voice cracked, beginning to fail. "That woman..." I nodded my head to the tent. "She's Julia's sister."

Ben exhaled. "Oh, Em." His eyes met mine, they were dark and warm, welcoming and forgiving. I felt myself falling into him again, wanting him to take every weight from me. He held me tighter just like I wanted him to, squeezing like he might never let go.

"What am I supposed to say to her?" I said into his shoulder as his arms wrapped around my body.

"Nothing yet," he whispered into my hair. "You give her some time to figure out herself first. Then, we'll tell her together." He gripped my hand and pulled me away from the tent. 

In the distance, Chris, Pilot and Sophia were walking together. In tow, were the group of kids that had once been locked inside the building.

"Oh my God," I gasped. "They're ok."

"Ben!" Sophia shrieked when she caught sight of him.

He knelt to her level, embracing her tightly. "What trouble have you been getting into?" he asked, messing her hair.

She took a step back and turned to the kids whose eyes were bright white like mine. "These are my new friends," she smiled. "They're like Em!"

"They sure are," Ben said. "You're going to look after them?"

She nodded proudly. "Chris said he'll be a teacher at school."

We turned to Chris. Pilot stood beside him with his arms folded, trying to stifle a laugh. Chris only shrugged. "They're going to need more help," he shrugged. "And I need a job around here."

"I think it'll be great," I said, turning to Ben with a smirk. "It's about time things got back to normal."

Will and Rose ran over to us, both beaming with the biggest grins I'd seen. "Will!" Ben shouted, meeting him halfway and leaping into his arms.

"You lot are incredible," Rose said, looking at me. "I really can't believe you did it."

"Mum!" Lucy called.

Rose turned and laughed, running across the field to meet her daughter.

Ben and Will were only just releasing each other when I looked over. Will ruffled Ben's hair as I walked towards them. "Em," Will said. "You were amazing... Both of you, but going into the herd like that..."

"I did what needed to happen," I replied. "I didn't want any of you putting your lives in danger and it was the only way to save them."

Will cast a glance over to Rose and Lucy. Ben caught the look and he smirked. "You can go over there," he said.

Will's face flushed and he immediately seemed flustered. "No, I'm here with you. Rose is with Lucy-"

Ben put a hand on his arm. "It's okay," he said. "We all deserve a chance at another life."

Will's brows pressed together, and he faltered. "But your mother?"

"She's not here anymore," Ben said sincerely. "She'd want you to be happy, and I do as well."

He nodded, and his eyes turned watery. "Thank you."