19. Untouched Calm

"Are you guys okay?" Lucy asked as we made our way back to the hotel. "I saw Tom storm off."

"He's fine," Ben replied. "We said some things that he didn't want to hear."

She half lifted a shoulder, and a smile grew on her lips. "Well, I hope you all work it out... There's nothing better than being able to re-unite people."

I looked out across the clifftops where there was a lone bench that sat on the grass, looking out at the crashing waves. The grey clouds and the dark ocean met at the horizon, a perfectly framed background for the subject who sat on the fragile bench. 

The picture grew bleaker the longer I looked. Tom's elbows were on his knees and his head turned to the ground. Beneath him, his feet kicked at the dirt, digging up a hole in the ground.

I raised a hand in his direction. "I really think I should go-"

Chris stepped to my side, putting an arm around my shoulder. "I wouldn't," he said, leading me away. "Leave him a bit longer."

"He looks upset..." I added, looking behind us.

Chris patted my arm. "And that's exactly why you should wait."

Lucy turned, walking backwards as she led us. "I hope you guys are hungry!" she said. "I got them to prepare something big and to get the bonfire going."

"Luce, that's not necessary," Ben scowled. "You've given us plenty as it is."

"Nonsense," she said. "It's good to do something special now and again... Plus, everyone here loves an occasion. You wouldn't want to deny them one, would you?"

*

The crowd had begun to gather around the flames. We'd already claimed a log near the back, hoping to avoid any unwanted attention. Still, the heat of the fire reached us, warming the chill the night brought. 

I spotted Lucy at the front, chatting to a few people it looked like she knew well. Around us, people huddled together, breathing into their gloves, and wrapping their coats tighter around themselves. However, despite the cold, there were still smiles and laughter, and children were still playing with sticks they'd found from the pile, taking turns hitting each other and laughing. 

I felt myself relax, leaning into the atmosphere. There was no danger here.

The night had cleared for us. Gone was the cloud and looming weather, instead replaced with a deep blue velvet sky. Glistening stars sprinkled the night, clearer than I'd ever seen them before. They commanded attention, sparkling their beauty across the expanse. I'd almost forgotten what it was like to see so many of them all at once. My neck ached as I stretched my head back further to the sky. They were all so delicately beautiful, distant, and untouchable.

At my side, I felt Ben's fingers intertwine with mine. His thumb rubbed against the back of my hand. The touch was slow and hypnotic, and I felt myself relax as I continued watching the night above us. 

I knew he wasn't watching the stars like I was. Instead, he was watching me. I could feel his stare, travelling my face and the scars that indented my skin. He was trying to figure out the story of those scars, the story of where I had been without him, but I was in my moment of serenity, my moment of untouched calm. 

There, I was Em where everyone was still alive, and the world was without the Infected. 

There, I was still myself.

Slowly, Ben shifted to plant a kiss against my cheek. His lips were soft and gentle and they lingered against my skin for a moment. 

"I love you," he whispered.