56. Do What You Have To

Both Ben and I ran as fast as we could towards Lucy and the others. Their weapons and firepower were doing little to kill off the relentless Infected. They'd lined themselves against the gate, pushing their grimy fingers through the gaps they'd created.

"This is useless!" Lucy shouted, firing again. "We're not even making a dent and what the fuck is that car doing!" Lucy's eyes were wide, her blonde hair blowing across her pale face. "I don't know how to co-ordinate this," she said. "I don't have a plan. How the fuck are we supposed to win against this?"

The car outside the fence was still patrolling at high speed trying to find a way through the wall of rotting bodies. Some Infected took their chances at grabbing onto it which caused them to tumble, getting dragged along by the wheels.

"Is there any way we can get that car in here?" I asked her.

She turned to me and her eyes were frantic. "Em, I've trusted you before but we're not opening that gate. It's a death sentence."

"Not this one," I replied. "What about the east gate? If you can keep them distracted here there will only be a few that follow it."

"Did you not hear a word I just said?" she retaliated, turning back to the fight.

"They've got the cure," I said. "They can help us."

Lucy didn't turn her head but lowered her weapon slightly like she was considering my words. "You better make it fucking worth it." Lowering her hand to her coat pocket, she pulled a black radio and handed it to me. "Do what you have to."

I held it like a precious gemstone as Ben pulled me away in the direction of the gate. "Do you remember what channel they use?" I said, pressing the buttons and hearing only static.

"Pass it here," Ben said, holding out a hand. "I've got an idea first." As we ran, I tried to watch him. He pressed buttons one after the other, his calloused fingertips moving like clockwork.

"Will," he said. "It's Ben, are you there?"

It was only a few seconds before the response came. "I'm here. What do you need?"

"Lucy's struggling to control everything, can you help her coordinate some sort of plan to hold them off?"

"Rose and I are already on it, son."

It was the faintest, briefest smile that broke through Ben's hardened expression that calmed me for a moment. His attention went back to the radio, turning the dial until he got to the right channel.

"This is Ben inside the gates, come in."

A crackling returned from the speaker. It was faint but they were there.

"I didn't catch that," Ben said into the radio. "Can you repeat?"

It crackled again, but this time a voice came through. "Ben! We're swamped. What the fuck are we supposed to do out here?"

He pressed the button to speak. "Turn around and follow the fence. There's another gate, it should be clear."

"There's going to be a few with us. You better be ready to close it quick."

From the gate entrance, we watched the car U-turn, trailing bodies behind. It picked up more speed as it hurtled towards us.

The brakes screeched and mud flew from the tyres as it turned right and pulled into the compound. As soon as the rear tyres were through, we pushed on the gate. The Infected weren't far behind and they were charging just as quickly in our direction. 

My fingers fumbled with the latch. The layer of sweat coating my hands was making the simple task harder and I had already locked eyes with the Infected that led the new herd. The bolts finally clicked into place and I pushed my body away from the gate, falling to the ground breathless.