𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

After the final bell rang, I turned in my paperwork to the art teacher and quickly said goodbye to Alice before leaving the classroom to go find Bella, who was likely dying to depart from the school as soon as possible.

I walked down a few hallways before reaching the hall that Bella's locker was in. As I strolled past a few talkative students, I noticed Bella in the far distance coming out of the office with a disgruntled look on her face.

When she noticed me down the hall, I began rushing my way toward her past many students next to their lockers until I finally reached her.

"Hey, I just need to turn in my slip to the office, and I'll be ready to go," I said.

"That's fine." She mumbled through her visible frown.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah," she paused with reluctance. "I'll just be waiting in the truck."

She began to walk away before I could say anything, concerning me that something was wrong despite her saying she was alright. I decided to let it go for now and turned to face the office door to enter it.

As I did so, someone else swung open the door forcefully and hurried past me without noticing me standing there, nearly bumping into me with their passage.

I recognized the person to be Edward, the "gorgeous Cullen sibling" that Jessica enlightened us about at lunch who couldn't keep his eyes off my sister, nor could she with him strangely enough.

He also seemed crossed about something based on the brief glimpse I got of his sculptured face and resentful expression. His lips were tightly closed, and his dark orbs looked ahead and away from anyone else in his way, seeming in a hurry to go wherever he needed to be.

I furrowed my brows, wondering what his problem was, as I went into the office to give my fully signed slip with all my teacher's signatures on it to the lady behind the front desk. When that was done, I rushed out of the school through the misty drops of rain falling from the dull sky and made my way to Bella's truck so we could go back home.

I pulled open the creaky door, sat my bag down on the clean side of the floorboard, and hopped onto the seat before shutting the door back. Bella was still glowering when she started the engine of the truck, pulled out carefully from the parking spot, and drove through the parking lot toward the exit.

I attempted to speak to her about how her first day went, but she said she didn't want to discuss it right now. I chose to respect her decision and continued looking out the foggy car window in silence, though thankfully the music coming from the antique radio filled up most of the quietness.

When we reached our house, Charlie's patrol car was already there and parked in the driveway — he must've gotten home early.

We both got out of Bella's truck and saw the front door of the house fling open that moment, where we saw Charlie walking onto the front porch, still dressed in his police uniform.