𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

"Scarlett?"

My assumption was confirmed when I heard that soft, melodic voice say my name.

I slowly cracked open my eyes, looked over my shoulder, and saw it was Alice who pulled me out of the way.

Her wide, ravishing gold-colored eyes glistened, staring deeply into mine, and her eyebrows were upturned in a worried manner, her face displayed pure, utter terror.

I noticed her embrace felt warm from behind, due to the pale blue down coat she was wearing that day. In contrast to the frigid temperature of her hands that were still clutched onto my shoulders, her grasp on me felt comforting.

I almost didn't want her to let go, though I wasn't sure why that desire crossed my mind.

"Scarlett? Are you alright?" Alice's frantic, bell-like tone spoke near my ear, grabbing my arm with both of her hands to help lift me to my feet.

"Yeah I'm okay," I answered, standing up beside her while maintaining my balance.

I then quickly turned to look where the skidding van had stopped.

It was in front of Bella's truck but hadn't crashed into it as I initially thought. I couldn't see everything with the tall van blocking most of the view, and I wasn't close enough to see everything that happened on the other side of it or see how the van suddenly stopped.

All I could see at that moment was a slew of petrified students running to Bella's truck from all different directions in the lot, including Mike, Eric, and Angela. I then spotted a few teachers sprinting over to them as well, ordering students to move out of the way.

Was Bella hurt? Did she get crushed by the van? Was she possibly dead?

"Bella!" I blurted with fear. "Is Bella okay? Did she get hit?" I stammered rapidly, now facing Alice with both my hands gently clutched on her arms.

"She's okay. She didn't get hit," she assured me, her hand still wrapped around my arm. "I promise she's fine, Scarlett."

Her angelic tone was filled with solace, soothing my anxiety in a small sense.

While gawking uneasily at the frightful scene, I saw what looked to be Edward Cullen in the distance, briskly walking away from where the van and Bella's truck were.

I didn't even notice that he was over there before. I never saw him near where I was walking when the van came speeding towards where she was.

When did he walk over there?

His expression looked staggered with pure shock, as if he saw something he shouldn't have seen, causing me to worry more.

"I have to go check on her." I asserted fearfully.