𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

I woke up in the morning to an unexpected ray of sunlight streaming through my window, surprising me.

Once I was fully conscious, I rushed to my window to open it, breathing in the warm, dry air that smelled nothing of rain this time.

Though I enjoyed the rain greatly — considering it hardly ever rained back in Phoenix — I was happy I could finally wear something meant for warmer weather.

After searching my closet, I slid on a knee-length, forest green dress with a black floral pattern on it, and put on a plain black knitted cardigan to cover the straps.

In the case that the sky did fall down abruptly, I grabbed my raincoat and slung it over my shoulder before exiting my room to leave for school with Bella.

As the school day went by, I noticed Alice and the rest of the Cullens were nowhere in sight.

I didn't see any of their cars that morning, nor did I see any of them in the hallways between classes. I figured they were either possibly late to school, or that they were gone on some family trip for the day.

Either way, I decided not to dwell on it any longer.

By the time lunch period arrived, everyone — including Bella and I — chose to sit outside in the school courtyard to eat lunch at the few picnic tables they had.

Most of the students were either playing out in the grass with soccer balls or sunbathing on the benches — desperately soaking up as much sun as they could — similar to what Alice told me most students did when it was sunny for once here.

As I was taking a sip of lemonade from my cup, I noticed Bella eagerly looking around the courtyard for someone, while anxiously grasping an apple in her hands.

That's when I realized the Cullens weren't at lunch either, meaning they weren't late to school and were all absent entirely.

It was visible to anyone who glanced over that Bella was clearly looking for someone — someone named Edward Cullen. I, of course, wondered where Alice was as well, though I chose not to make it obvious that I was.

"He's not here," Jessica muttered, looking over at a now flustered Bella.

"Whenever the weather's nice, the Cullens don't attend school." She added as she continued sunbathing on the edge of the picnic table.

Strange, I thought. Anytime the weather's nice? Meaning, rarely.

"So, what, they just ditch?" Bella narrowed her eyes with confusion.

"No, Dr. and Mrs. Cullen yank them out to go camping and hiking and stuff," Jessica replied. "I tried that idea out on my parents — not even close."

As I was registering this new information about the Cullens, Angela excitedly ran up to our table.