𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

When I opened my eyes the next morning, I noticed bits of white flurries whirling from the sky outside my bedroom window — it was snowing.

Ecstatic at the sight, I jumped out of bed and rushed to the window to look closer. I looked below the window outside, seeing that the thick snowflakes were actually sticking to the grass, creating a blanket of snow that was still continuing to build up.

A measurable amount of snowfall was quite rare in Phoenix and was something I only ever saw on TV shows and Christmas films, so the view outside was likely more exciting for me than the locals in Forks who were used to any other weather conditions besides warm and sunny ones.

My sister, Bella, on the other hand, hated the snow, despite only seeing it maybe once or twice in her life while visiting Forks when we were children. For her, it fell under the same category as rain — cold and wet. Snow was worse to her, colder than rain, and wanted nothing to do with it.

Nearly every student at school was excited about the snow, surprising me. Apparently, it was the first snowfall that had occurred in the new year, so everyone was thrilled to see something other than rain.

As Bella and I walked side by side into the school, kids were standing over on the snow-covered lawn next to the parking lot, throwing snowballs at each other.

Mike was one of the students in on the battle and even invited us to join his side when he spotted us walking by. This prompted Bella to walk faster towards the entrance, not wanting to risk being hit by the "cold white mush," as she called it.

Throughout most of the morning classes, the main topic between the students was the sudden snowfall.

Every student was dressed in even warmer clothes than the usual, already cozy attire that was worn for the regular chilly temperatures. Puff jackets, knitted beanies, crotched scarves, warm mittens, and even snow boots were worn by most of the kids until they were inside the school, out of the cold, and felt comfortable enough to remove a few layers.

I felt relieved that I remembered to bring Alice's coat with me to give back to her that she lent me to day prior, reminding me of the kind gesture she bid me. Luckily, I didn't leave my jacket in Bella's truck this time, it was too cold to forget such a thing.

I was in the busy hallway retrieving my notebook for biology out of my locker after second period finished wrapping up.

While I was doing that, I spotted Mike from afar standing in front of his locker at the end of the hallway — he was staring at me with an eager expression on his baby face.

As soon as I met his eyes, he started slowly walking in my direction, making me nearly sigh in exasperation, though I held back that time out of politeness.

"Hey, Scarlett!" Mike called out, only a few feet away from me as he approached closer.

"Hi, Mike," I responded blandly, closing my locker back.