𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

Emerging from the forest were three mysterious individuals, swiftly walking side by side as the tall, darker-skinned man in the center was further in front of the other two — insinuating that he likely was the leader amongst them.

The one walking on his right side was another male, with long, slicked-back blonde hair pulled into a low ponytail — he had the most intimidating disposition out of the other two, which was saying something as they all sent chills down my spine from just simply gazing at them from behind Alice.

The third member was a female. Her hair was long, tightly curled, and was a striking shade of red that appeared as prominent as a flame as she walked through the field our way with the other two men.

As they got closer, I noticed all three of them were dressed in worn-out, frayed clothing with no shoes on their feet, and one of the males had our baseball in his hand.

Their eyes appeared different too. Instead of being the normal golden or black shade I was used to seeing, they were a deep crimson-red color.

They stopped at the same time, further away from where we were lined up, as their sharp eyes cautiously examined us — not yet seeming to notice me or Bella thankfully.

The taller man with glossy black hair formed in dreadlocks stepped forward, holding up the ball in his hand as he looked over at Carlisle.

"I believe this belongs to you." He said with a deep, relaxed French accent.

He flung the ball over to Carlisle, and he proceeded to catch it with minimal effort without breaking eye contact with them.

"Thank you," Carlisle said politely.

"I am Laurent," the man introduced himself. "And this is Victoria and James." He gestured to the other two individuals with him.

"I'm Carlisle," he replied. "And this is my family."

The three visitors looked at each of us — now peering at me.

I shivered lightly as their gaze pierced through me, though Alice's grip on my hand tightened, almost in a way to let me know I'd be okay.

"Pleasant to meet you all." Laurent nodded with a grin.

"We're afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us." Carlisle brought up professionally.

"Our apologies," Laurent stated calmly. "We were unaware that the territory had been claimed."

"Yes, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carlisle disclosed to the three.

I noticed one of them — particularly the light-haired male — was glaring suspiciously over to the left side of us, where Bella was standing behind Edward, away from where I was.