𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

The following morning, after I had finished getting myself ready for another day at school, I was snacking on a banana at the kitchen table when Bella came lumbering down the creaky staircase with her backpack hanging off her shoulder.

I could tell by the visible, weary bags under her eyes that she was met with yet another sleepless night, likely on account of being worried about any possible affairs that were to come once her biology class rolled around.

She didn't talk much that morning, and settled on a small granola bar to tide her over until lunch. Charlie was already outside in the driveway warming up his patrol car when Bella and I walked out of the house to leave for school in her truck.

My body shivered as I noticed the grass in the front lawn had a layer of frost sprinkled over it, and warm clouds of breath exhaled from my mouth through the air due to the frigid temperatures that surrounded us.

I walked ahead of Bella down the porch steps and over the icy asphalt ground. Suddenly, I heard the quick sound of a slide on ice, followed by a thud, prompting me to turn around and see Bella had fallen onto the icy driveway with her bookbag still on her back — a common characteristic of hers that I was thankful I didn't possess; clumsiness.

Charlie rushed over from his car to check on her as I held a firm grip on her arm to carefully help her stand back up on the slick ground below our feet.

"You okay, Bells?" Charlie asked while also assisting in pulling her up.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She quickly assured as she stood up carefully with her hand gripped onto mine. "Ice doesn't really help the uncoordinated."

"That's why I got you some new tires for your truck," Charlie noted, as Bella looked over at where it was parked.

"You did?" She asked, sounding surprised.

"Yep, four new tires." He replied. "The other ones were nearly bald."

"Thanks, Dad," she said with real emotion. "I appreciate it."

"Yep," he nodded as Bella and I walked over to her truck. "Also, I meant to let you girls know I'll be home a bit late since I'm heading down to Mason County. A security guard at Grisham Mill got killed by some kind of animal, apparently, and they need me to investigate."

"An animal?" I furrowed my brows, now leaning up against the truck. "What kind of animal could have done that?"

"No one knows," he shook his head. " They've been hunting it down for a week with no luck, so I thought I'd lend a hand in the investigation."

"I haven't heard of a death from an animal attack in quite a long time," I commented, baffled.

"You're not in Phoenix anymore, girls," he stated blandly.