𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

"I can't believe you said that to him," I murmured.

"What else could I have said to make him let us go without following?" Bella cried, keeping her eyes on the road in front of us.

"I don't know," I admitted. "But anything else besides the exact statement Mom said to him right before she took us to leave him behind with nobody would've been less brutal."

Bella remained silent, having no comeback for my response.

I knew that she only said those things in the heat of the moment so we could keep Charlie safe from this tracker, though I still couldn't help but feel intense remorse and anguish over him having to hear those words spoken to him again, this time by one of his daughters instead of his ex-wife he still hadn't fully moved on from, even though he didn't do anything wrong to deserve this.

Without warning, I felt a hard thud against Bella's truck, making us both gasp as we snapped our heads to the left — it was just Edward.

He managed to jump onto her truck and was now hanging carefully outside the driver's side window looking in.

"Your father's going to forgive you." He assured in a comforting voice.

Edward then offered to drive as he opened the driver's side door, slid in beside Bella, and gripped the steering wheel, pushing her closer to my side to where it felt snug inside the truck.

"No, he won't," Bella muttered quietly, as tears began to slide down her face more — this was the first time I had ever seen her cry this hard.

"You should've seen his face," She added with a sniffle. "I told him the same thing our mom said to him before she left him."

Despite being hurt by all that she said to him, I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her towards me to try and comfort her as she kept silently weeping.

"It's the only way he'd let you go," Edward muttered, seemingly regretful of the situation as well.

"You two don't need to worry about him now," He then said, relieving me. "He's safe — the tracker is following us now that we've led him away."

Unexpectedly, we felt the truck abruptly shake, along with a loud bang against the back of it. Bella and I jumped up beyond startled as we tried looking behind us, afraid it was James.

"It's just Emmett," Edward said, slightly calming our nerves.

In that same instant, bright headlights from a vehicle sped behind us and slowed once they were close behind us, following us. When I turned to look through the window, I noticed it was the Jeep we rode in earlier.

"Alice and Noelle are in the Jeep behind us," Edward revealed, answering my curiosity. "The rest of my family are waiting for us back at my place so we can decide where to go from here."