T W E N T Y - T H R E E

When my alarm goes off in the morning, I was already awake. I never went to sleep. 

Just laid there in miserable thought all night long. 

Why did he leave the book in my room? Was he trying to give me a warning? Was he trying to say that I need to be scared? 

Has he been stalking me? 

So many questions rattled my brain till the morning sun started peeking through the window, so now here I am laying wide awake when my alarm has been going off for a few minutes. 

When I do finally decide to get up and get ready for school, the lack of sleep really starts to hit me but I ignore it. 

As I grab my clothes from the closet and toss them on the bed, I notice the book again. I reach out to grab it, but get interrupted by the loud voice of my younger brother.

"Hurry the hell up, Bianca." I hear Jonah yell from the hallway. "Its my first day back and I would prefer not to be late."

I roll my eyes and head to the bathroom to change. "Yes, Jonah, I am aware that it is your first day back to school since you went on that nerd trip with your nerd class. Its all you ever talk about. Give me fifteen minutes and ill be done."

I hear his feet carry him down the hall and away from my room. The boy walks like he is a t-rex. 

After getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I walk into the kitchen to see Jonah sitting at the table reading a book, munching on an apple of all things.  Dad must have already left for work.

"Finally. You take forever to get ready." 

I roll my eyes and grab a water bottle from the fridge and sling my bag over my shoulder. "Whatever. Now come on." 

He just rolls his eye as a response and tosses the leftover core of his apple into the trash can, and grabs his bag and follows me out the door.

By the time that I reach school, after making sure that Jonah made it to his school okay, I am already late. I just decided to take my slow time walking around the building before actually heading inside since I am already late.

Right as I round the corner to the science hall, I hear a voice from behind me, making me nearly drop my bag.  "You arent in class? I thought you were always first in the doors."

I roll my eyes and turn around, prepared to argue with either a teacher, or with Shane. "I would be in class right now if I didnt have other priorities as well."

But when I fully turn around, I am faced to face with Luke, and Izzy behind him. "Oh I thought you were someone else."

Luke smiles, his dimples showing up on his cheeks. "I know. I was just trying to scare you into thinking you got caught."

Izzy just smiles at me, and walks to be beside me. 

I smile back at them both then look around, noticing that there are a few students still outside. "Why isnt everyone else in class?" 

Izzy looks around as well, then points to a teacher just sitting at a bench reading a book. "Coach Bell thought it would be a good day for outdoor class for some reason. I think he just wants to be able to spend some time reading his soccer book."

"Of course. But being outside is better than being stuck inside the dusty rooms." I say, walking to a picnic table in the courtyard and setting down on it, Izzy and Luke following suit and sitting on the other sides of the table. 

I pull out the book from my bag where i hid it this morning, and skim through the pages. 

"Whats that?" Luke points to the book and raises an eyebrow. "Is that your diary?"

I shake my head and continue looking through the pages briefly. "No, Im not sure what it is. I just kinda found it." 

Luke hmms as a response and pulls out his laptop, and starts talking with Izzy about the project that they have to do in Calculus.  I tune them out as I keep searching the pages of the book.

I reach a page that makes me stop and look down at the picture on it. Its a sketch of a little boy, standing right beside a printed out picture of a little girl. They both look around the age of ten or eleven. What makes me stop is who the children look like. 

The little girl in the printed photograph looks like me.  The sketched little boy looks like Shane. 

The caption is what makes me hold my breath for a minute. 

They say that I am crazy, only in nicer words. They say that he doesnt exist. 

"B, you good?" I blink and see Izzy waving her hand in front of my face, making me look up at her. 

"Huh?"

"You looked like you saw a ghost." She smiles at me.

"Oh. Im okay." I close the book and shove it in my bag before slinging it over my shoulders, "I just uh am gonna go to the library or something."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Izzy raises an eyebrow at me.

"No its okay." I smile, turn and walk towards the entrance to the building.

"Is she okay?" I hear Luke ask Izzy as I get a good distance away. I just ignore it.

I get inside the building and head straight to one of two places that I know Shane will be, the old storage closet at the end of the math hallway.h

I throw open the door, ignoring the sounds of cursing and of clothes rustling and turn the light on.

"What the hell," Shane says, looking me right in the eyes as he pulls his pants up. 

The girl who was beside him, pulls her shirt over her head, glares at me and pulls her shirt over her head before running from the room and purposefully bumping her shoulder into mine. 

"What the fuck is this?" I whisper yell, grabbing the book from my backpack and shoving it into his chest. 

His very bare chest.

He grins a sinister grin and walks closer to he till he has me pressed against the wall. 

"So you must have seen the picture then." He leans his head closer to him.  

"Get off of me, you weirdo." I shove at his chest with no avail. 

"No I dont think I will yet. Not till you explain to me why you felt the need to interrupt me when I was busy. This could have waited. Especially since your father invited my father and I out tonight with your family to celebrate your brother being back home." He smiles and slowly leans closer. "That will give up plenty of time to take." 

He kept leaning so close that he is close enough now that I can feel his chest pressing against mine and I can feel his breath on my lips. And I can smell his earthy cologne that he uses. 

"But that time is not now. I have things to do." He smiles as he pulls back, practically shoving me out of the way of the door and leaves me standing there confused as to what just happened.