CHAPTER 1 | AXEL

"Mmm...no...no, no. Stay back..."

Axel twitched uncomfortably on the bed, his body covered in cold sweat. A lump on the bedroom floor served as the crumpled-up blankets that had been kicked off due to Axel's numerous fidgets and shifts. Axel's brows were scrunched together, and his lips were parted slightly, quiet moans of distress filtering from them as he relived the nightmare that had haunted him from a young age.

"No...don't...don't come near..."

The silhouette of a man standing before him was the cause of Axel's discomfort. A strong desire for the man to stay away consumed Axel as he was forced to endure the bloody dream once more. Pain seized Axel as sharp steel was thrust into his back. Looking down, Axel's eyes widened as he saw the tip of a black blade protruding from his chest.

The silhouette hurried over to Axel as he fell to his knees and clutched the blade. The moment the silhouette reached him, Axel pressed his hand into the man's chest to keep him from touching the blade. It was poisoned. How he knew, Axel could not tell. A deep sense of caution was the only reason he kept the man from touching the deadly metal.

He had to protect him. He could not let the man get hurt because of him. However, despite his efforts to keep the man away, the silhouette brought Axel into his arms and held him closely.

"NO!!!" Just as the man neared Axel, he sat up in bed yelling for him to stop, not to touch him. Axel's chest rose and fell rapidly as he breathed haggardly. Beads of sweat clung to his forehead and dripped from his strands of blond hair, wetting the sheets beneath him.

Through all these dreams, Axel had never been able to fully see the man's face, nor did he know the reason for being stabbed and wanting to protect the silhouette. Nor did he know the root source of the strange visions.

Looking at the stand beside his bed, Axel read the time on the holographic clock to be four in the morning. Three hours before my alarm.

Huffing quietly, Axel swung his legs over the side of the bed and set them on the cool surface of the tiled floor. Axel ran his fingers through his wet hair before pressing his feet onto the floor and standing from the bed. Slipping his soaked shirt over his head, Axel entered the washroom connected to his bedroom and turned on the shower.

Keeping the water cold, Axel stepped into the chilled liquid and let the shower drench his body. Pressing his forehead against the cool, tiled wall, Axel breathed in deeply before exhaling and letting his arms relax.

Axel remained beneath the cold water for a few more minutes before deactivating the shower and grabbing the towel that was hung on the washroom door. Laying the towel over his head, Axel dried his hair before wiping down his body and coming to stand before the mirror. His blond hair hung just above his eyes, but he wished it would grow longer to cover the one thing that separated him from the majority of his peers: his eyes.

Axel leaned in toward the mirror and stared at his silver orbs. No one would know he was different if it were not for his eyes. They were bright and bold and were nearly impossible to not notice at first glance. It was for this reason that everyone knew exactly what he was.

If he could wear sunshades every day, he would. But school policy would not allow for that, so Axel had no choice but to parade himself around as a mixed breed. Everyone he met knew that he was half-human and half-angel. But not everyone was happy about it.

Angels and demons have been integrated into Earth's societies for hundreds of years, but prejudice is a strong sensation that cannot be easily tamed. Although angels, demons, and humans have been able to live together without war for nearly five hundred years, mixed offspring of any combination of the three were looked down upon and scorned.