CHAPTER 12 | PRECIOUS CARGO

The city was quiet, eerily quiet. Axel slowly moved his gaze over his surroundings as he continued to walk with his team. Visuals were impaired as a grey haze had set over the city. A collection of smoke from explosions and dust from the collapsing of buildings caused visibility to be rather low, affecting the unit's ability to discern what was around them.

Where they were headed, he could not say. Axel was certain a destination had been determined during a silent conversation between the rest of the unit, however, he did not yet have access to such a chat. So, he was left with the silent signals given by Kilo, his team's leader, as the purple-eyed angel led R-10 in following Rae and Team R-11.

Rae hoped someone in the new unit would have more information regarding the situation and the obvious war that was now tearing apart Earth. He had been able to grasp the gist of the war and Hades' intentions of disconnecting Earth from the Heavens, but he hoped to find out more about what was going on outside the city. Had the entire planet been invaded? Were there other planets besides Earth that were experiencing the same horrors?

There was so much to know but being disconnected from the Heavens and stranded on the now demon-infested planet, Rae was alone with his unit and an unexperienced boy he had saved. Connecting with the other unit was Rae's chance to learn what was going on in the Heavens and on other planets.

The unit had been carefully traversing through the skyreachers for a half hour when Rae sent out a silent signal for the unit to halt. Kilo lifted his fist to alert Castyr and Axel to the colonel's command. Seeing Kilo's balled fist, the star and half-angel promptly came to a stop.

Being a star, Castyr was not able to hear the inner voices of Rae and other angels. However, he did have a link to Kilo through which the angel and his star could converse silently. Kilo would keep Castyr updated on all that was talked about and decided upon in the conversations he had with his fellow angels, but for quick commands from Rae such as this, Kilo would usually signal to his star using his hands.

Having a link to his guardian angel, Castyr was aware of the unit's mission to find the other angels, and he realized that Axel most likely did not have the full capabilities to converse telepathically. So, he mentally noted to himself to be in tune with the half-angel and not let him be too disoriented from the rest of the unit.

Axel held his breath as he and the others looked around while standing perfectly still. Being only half-angel, Axel's senses were not as heightened as those of pure angels, so he did not have the slightest clue as to why Rae had stopped the unit. But he was sure there was a legitimate reason.

Upon receiving the command from Rae to split up and take shelter, Kilo gave the hand signal to Castyr and Axel as the teams split up and hid behind several skyreachers. All was still as Unit R waited for whatever Rae had noticed to show itself. Was it the angels? Or...a horde of rabid demons?

Movement detected at your twelve o'clock. Jaemyn warned the unit of approaching beings as he landed on a balcony of one of the skyreachers. With his vantage point, Jaemyn was able to roughly discern what was heading toward the hidden unit. Soldiers wearing the uniform of the Division of Defense approaching at 300 yards. Proceed with caution.

Although it was mostly confirmed to be angels of another unit, Jaemyn still advised Rae to be careful until it could be certain the soldiers were angels and not posers. Receiving the sniper's warning, Rae placed his hand on the handle of his sword and alerted the rest of the unit to be on guard.

200 yards. Jaemyn relayed the position of the approaching beings as they continued to head toward the unit.

100 yards.

100 feet.

75 feet. Jaemyn continued to relay the other beings' position until they were nearly upon them.