CHAPTER 7 | I HAVE TO SAVE THEM

Stopping at the entrance to the relief camp, the two officers turned to look at the students, and that was when Axel remembered where he had heard the female's voice. Seeing the hazel eyes gazing at him, Axel realized it was the same soldier who had caught him when he stumbled and told him to keep his head on straight.

The officer's eyes softened when she saw Axel. Glancing at the three other students before scanning the group of survivors, Maelynn observed their conditions before turning her head back to the camp where she saw a doctor hurrying toward them.

"Lieutenant Mage," the doctor greeted as she reached the border between the military base and the emergency camp.

"Dr. Reed," Maelynn returned with a nod of her head. 

"More survivors?" Dr. Reed assumed as she looked past the two officers and peered at the group standing at the border to the camp.

"Ae," Maelynn responded before adding, "We'll escort them to Dr. Cho. Please, lead the way, Doctor."

Dr. Reed took one more look at the group to ensure none needed immediate aid before nodding. "Very well. Follow me."

Axel and the others were silent as they followed the doctor and two officers through the bollards into the campgrounds. Doctors, nurses, and paramedics were racing between tents administering aid where it was needed while soldiers and citizens rested and healed from their wounds. 

One angel who was of the healer class and happened to be on Earth at the time of the attack was busy giving aid to whomever she could. Her blue and silver uniform caused her to stand out from the forces of Earth who were dressed in black and grey camouflage.

Dr. Reed led the group through several rows of tents until they arrived at a large tent positioned in the camp's center. The group was instructed to wait outside the tent while Dr. Reed went in to request the head doctor's presence. After a few moments, Dr. Reed emerged from the camp with a middle-aged woman walking beside her.

"Dr. Cho," Maelynn greeted politely. 

"Lieutenant," Dr. Cho responded as she looked beyond the officers and at the group of people waiting patiently. "We seem to be seeing each other quite often these days."

"Ae. Too often for my taste," Maelynn responded before gesturing to those standing behind her. "We have twenty-one survivors in need of sustenance and water. Seven need medical assistance. Please look after them."

"Ae, Lieutenant," the head doctor responded. "Thank you."

The two officers who had led the group through the camp then inclined their heads to the two doctors before turning and walking past the group back toward the base. Once the officers had left, Dr. Cho addressed the survivors, "Welcome to District 17's emergency camp. You will be provided with food and water and a cot on which to sleep. Those in need of medical aid will follow Dr. Reed. You will be expected to abide by the regulations set by the camp's authority during your stay. And most importantly, do not harm any medical staff or fellow patients. Any questions?"

The doctor's introduction was short and curt as she had many more patients to tend to and trusted her subordinates to properly care for those who did not need emergency aid. When no one objected to receiving food and water and a place to sleep, Dr. Cho motioned for Dr. Reed to take over and show the survivors to their respective tents.

Bowing to Dr. Cho as she retreated inside the large tent, Dr. Reed turned the group before sectioning them based on their needs. By this time, several nurses had joined Dr. Reed and were awaiting her instructions. "Group 3, follow Dave to your tents, Group 2, follow James, and Group 3, follow me."