CHAPTER 33 | REUNION

"You're alive!" Hakken breathed a sigh of relief as he saw the hangel standing before him. Although Axel and Hakken had only spent a few days with each other before becoming separated, the student from Dawning High had become attached to the hangel and had worried for Axel ever since the night the camp was attacked.

Hakken gave Axel a quick embrace after setting the bundle of supplies he was carrying on a nearby chair. "I almost didn't recognize you," Hakken said as he took a step back and observed the hangel. Axel had grown in both height and physique in the months he and Hakken had been separated. And instead of wearing a blood-stained school uniform, Axel was now dressed in the Heavens' military gear.

Much like Axel, Hakken had also grown. He and Axel were now around the same height, and he was donned in Earth's military stealth wear.

"How have you been?" Hakken inquired as he picked up the bundle he was meant to deliver and offered it to Axel. Axel accepted the supply kit with a small nod of thanks before answering, "As good as I can, despite everything."

Hakken knew by Axel's response that his fellow hangel had been through some pretty rough stuff. "You've done well, Axel, getting this far," Hakken said with a soft smile as he patted the hangel's shoulder. "Why don't you come with me? There's someone who'd be happy to see you."

Axel gave a small nod in response to Hakken's offer. He had an inkling of who Hakken would lead him to and was excited to reunite with another long-lost friend. 

"So, what have you been up to these months?" Hakken inquired as he and Axel exited the experience room and began walking down the wide hallway that branched out and connected to several other experience rooms.

"Training, mostly," Axel responded before explaining, "I joined the HDD and became a member of Unit R."

"Unit R?" Hakken returned with a raised brow. He was familiar with the name. "I've heard about that unit. It's notorious for functioning with just three teams for so long. I've heard stories about its commander, too. He's pretty famous for being cold and withdrawn but great at commanding a unit."

"So, why are you here, then, with Hendry's unit?" Hakken then asked as he and Axel passed by a pair of soldiers coming from the opposite direction.

Axel fell silent for a moment before responding, "To protect my unit."

Hakken raised a brow in reaction to Axel's response, but he did not press further. He could tell that there was something more happening between the two units. But, if Axel did not wish to tell him, then he would not ask. Instead, he gave a nod of his head and said, "That's commendable. Unit R is lucky to have you, Axel."

Axel's demeanor seemed to lighten with Hakken's encouragement, and he smiled to himself subtly while turning his gaze toward the ground. Axel then recalled how Hakken was the first to comfort him after losing Jay and his father during the initial invasion, and he grew comfortable in the presence of his fellow hangel once again.

Hakken brought Axel down toward the end of the hallways before making a right and entering one of the last experience rooms where an EDF unit was relaxing. Several soldiers were checking their weapons, polishing their equipment, or sleeping while others were engaged in old-fashioned games. Due to the destructed state of the city, most of the power sources were made unavailable, so the soldiers resorted to either scavenging or creating their very own classical games.

Some of the soldiers looked up upon the entrance of the two hangels before returning to whatever they were doing after seeing a familiar face. Axel followed Hakken into the experience room as the sky-blue-haired led him toward the back where a unit of the HDD was stationed.