CHAPTER 2 | JAY

"Demon King Aklys has been overthrown..."

"...has since been missing..."

"No word has been heard..."

Axel released a breath as he peered out the classroom window. The words of the news reporter echoed through his mind and overtook the sound of the teacher's lecture on Earth's ancient history before the integration of angels and demons and prior to the revolutionary space ventures that brought various beings to Earth. Axel had spaced out for the majority of the day, the name "Aklys" weighing heavy on his mind.

The name brought pain and sadness to Axel even though he had heard it for the first time earlier that day. Axel had always felt that a major part of him was missing from a young age. A feeling of emptiness and longing was ever present in the eighteen-year-old's soul. So, when the Demon King's name extracted such a response from Axel, he began to wonder if this Aklys held a clue to what, or who, was the missing piece to his soul.

Aklys himself did not seem to be the missing piece, but Axel knew for certain that the Demon King held a clue. He might even know who the silhouette in Axel's dream may be...

"This concludes the lecture for today." The teacher's voice finally broke through the racing thoughts in Axel's mind as he deactivated the holograph that projected the content for that day's class. "Now, on to more present matters," the teacher added as he came to stand in front of his desk and folded his arms across his chest.

"I assume you all heard the news this morning about matters with Hades?" Mr. Brent paused for a moment to allow his group of students to ask questions should they have them. When no one raised their hand, the teacher continued, "As of this morning, the Demon King Aklys, who fostered peace between the Heavens and Hades as well as all other planets, has gone missing. An uprising happened, and a new Demon King is in power. Sources say his name is Nethun."

A hand being raised caused the teacher to pause and gesture to the student. "Mr. Brent, why are we learning about what happened in Hades? My mom said it doesn't concern us, and that it's something for the Heavens to handle."

Mr. Brent looked at the student for a moment before uncrossing his arms and setting them on the desk which he leaned against. "You're probably right, Hyuk. Probably."

The classroom fell quiet as the students waited for their teacher to explain, "But think back on all you've learned during your final year of high school. When the Roldrans invaded the Myths, did the Golothians say the same thing? That it didn't concern them and that it was something the Myths needed to handle? Probably."

"And what happened to the Golothians as a result?" The teacher inquired. "Anybody?"

"They were overthrown by Roldrom..." A student answered quietly.

"Very good, Hyuk. Exactly, the Roldrans invaded the Golothians and took over their planet. So, do you still think what happened this morning should not concern us?"

Several students lowered their heads as they began rethinking their views on the recent events. "Then..." A girl spoke up. "What's going to happen to us?"

Mr. Brent lowered his head at the girl's question before releasing a quiet breath and looking at the class once again. "I am talking about this not to scare you but to help you realize that we live in a connected universe. Heaven and Hades are the two most powerful entities in existence. I know many of your parents, grandparents, and ancestors are from either one or both. However, I want you to remember that no matter what happens, Earth is your home. And I implore you never to forget that."

Silence filled the room as the young men and women soaked in their teacher's words. Axel had turned his head to resume peering out the window when it seemed that the conversation had concluded when the bell signaling the end of class sounded throughout the school.