CHAPTER 13 | HIS SOUL

"Wha...what do you mean?" Axel's face froze at the woman's words. Waiting for me? What does she mean?

Castyr came to stand behind Axel when he heard what Star Ellessi had said. Kilo followed his star and bowed his head shortly in greeting to the esteemed Star Ellessi.

"Your soul..." Ellessi gazed at the boy fondly as she said, "Your soul, dear Axel, will end this war with Hades."

Axel's brows furrowed as he stared at the white-haired woman. End the war...My soul? ...How?

Noticing the commotion from everyone's reactions to the star's prophecy, Rae quickly walked to the source of the noise. Finding Axel standing in front of the star Hendry was escorting, Rae came to stand beside his newest subordinate and bowed his head in greeting to the star.

"Star Ellessi, what is this about?"

Eyes still fixed on Axel, Ellessi responded to the colonel, "This boy...will end this terrible war and restore peace."

"How?" Grand Colonel Hendry inquired as he joined the scene. "How will this boy end the war?" Hendry had been searching for a means to put an end to this hell, so a star prophesying about how to end the fight with Hades called for the grand colonel's complete attention.

Aware that Hendry was a good person but eager to use whatever means necessary to win a battle, Rae stepped between Axel and the grand colonel. Axel was an untrained half-angel. Even if they knew then and there how his soul could end the war, it would be futile. He would need months if not years of training to unlock his abilities. No matter what Ellessi said next, Rae knew that Axel would not be able to perform it. He was not ready.

Thus, Rae was ready to whisk the boy away should Hendry step in and try to assimilate Axel into his unit. Hendry would do whatever it took to win even if it meant sacrificing a mere half-angel.

Watching Ellessi carefully, Rae braced to hear what the star had to say. Eyes still focused on Axel, Ellessi began explaining, "You are the key to Angel's Landing. With the full power of Angel's Landing, we will win this war."

"The key? What do you mean, Star Ellessi?"

Ignoring Hendry's inquiry, Ellessi continued, "You must find Angel's Landing, Axel. And you must unlock it."

Angel's Landing? Axel continued to gaze at Ellessi with furrowed brows. Knowing that he could end the bloodshed that was plaguing Harlim, Axel was all ears. He had resolved to do his best to rid Earth of the rabid demons and presence of Hades.

"But no one has ever been able to find Angel's Landing," Hendry returned. "How will this boy be able to find it?"

Once again brushing off Hendry's question, Ellessi turned her gaze to Rae before stating, "It is your job to train Axel and help him find Angel's Landing. Do what you could not in the past. Protect him well."

Rae's heart sank when he heard the star's order. Do what I could not in the past? What does she mean? Rae had felt a connection with the boy ever since he saw him bloodied and fighting against several rabid demons, but he had not been able to place where and when he had met the half-angel. Did we...know each other? Before I lost everything?

"I am highly qualified to train the boy, Star Ellessi. Allow me the honor of protecting the half-angel," Hendry pushed. He wanted to be the one to train the person who would help the Heavens win the war. He knew that if Axel were under his command, he could forge the half-angel into a mighty warrior.

Ellessi opened her lips to respond to the grand colonel, but a hovercraft flying overhead dangerously low stopped her. Lifting her head to the sky, Ellessi's eyes widened when she saw a bomb dropping toward the ground. Reflexes quicker than a cat's, Rae wrapped his arm around Axel's waist and twirled the boy out of the range of the bomb as it shot into a nearby building.