CHAPTER 28 | VAUMYR

The moon had just reached its peak in the night sky as Devyn walked up behind the tall man standing on the balcony of his room. Slipping his hands underneath the man's arms and wrapping them around his waist, Devyn pressed his chest against his mate's back as he softly asked, "Why don't you come to bed?"

Devyn turned his head to rest against Denzyl as the demon inhaled and exhaled slowly. Denzyl, Devyn's demon mate, had grown restless throughout the months Earth had spent battling Hades. Denzyl was not a demon from Hades and was rather part of a clan that had been banished from the underworld centuries ago, so he did not have special ties or much affection for the forces of Hades. However, being a demon and sharing blood with those of Hades allowed Denzyl to perceive that something was brewing.

Hades was plotting. Denzyl could sense the darkness that was threatening to cloak the universe in an endless night.

"Is everything okay?" Devyn inquired as the demon turned to face him. Devyn gazed into Denzyl's stormy grey eyes as the demon held him closely. "Mm, everything's fine. I was just thinking about some things," Denzyl voiced quietly as he breathed in Devyn's comforting scent. Denzyl did not want to worry Devyn with his assumptions; there was no certainty that the darkness of Hades would prevail and cover the world.

"How are negotiations going?" Denzyl inquired as Devyn leaned against him.

"As well as they can. Hendry is returning tomorrow to finish things up."

The chilly night breeze flowed over the couple as they stood in each other's arms and enjoyed being caressed by nature. After a while of enjoying the crisp night, Devyn eventually led Denzyl back into the warmth of their room where the two went to relax on their luxurious bed. Devyn planted soft kisses on his mate's chest as he lay on top of the demon who sat against the frame of their bed. As Devyn gave him sweet kisses, Denzyl reached beneath Devyn's loose, white shirt and swirled his finger over the mark on Devyn's shoulder.

The mark on the human's shoulder glowed and pulsed in reaction to the demon's touch. The mark was what connected Devyn and Denzyl, and, together with their love, linked them as mates. It was a shadow of Denzyl's demon essence that had been infused into Devyn, giving the human the ability to live alongside his demon mate until the end of time should no tragedy befall them.

"How do you think she's doing?" Devyn mumbled as he continued to rest against his husband.

Denzyl took his husband's hand that contained his matching ring and intertwined his fingers with Devyn's, so their twinning rings clinked against each other gently. "I think we would know if something had happened to her," Denzyl replied softly before planting a sweet kiss atop Devyn's head. "She's strong, just like her predecessors."

"Yeah, I know, but...it's been a while since we've heard from her," Devyn returned as he weaved his free pinky finger through the long, pale fingers of Denzyl's other hand.

Understanding Devyn's concern, Denzyl smiled down at his husband lovingly before proposing, "How about we go look for her? What was the location of her last contact?"

A smile formed on Devyn's lips at Denzyl's proposition. "Mm! Let's do that." Although the CEO had been properly kept busy with war politics and negotiations, he refused to sit still in his fancy skyreacher while his family fought through blood and mud on the ground. "I think her last location was-"

Before Devyn could complete his thought, an alert sounded from the device propped on the nightstand beside the bed. Looking to the left, Denzyl reached for the device and played the message that came with the alert. A woman's voice sounded through the device as Denzyl returned to cuddling his husband.

"Hello, Mr. Vaumyr, sorry to disturb you during your night," the voice began before getting into the meat of the message. "The lieutenant has returned. She is waiting for you in the lobby."