CHAPTER 29 | AN ILL-TIMED MEETING

Once Maelynn and the three from Unit R had gotten a few hours of rest, Devyn called the group to gather in his office. Denzyl sat down beside his human mate as Maelynn and the three soldiers from the HDD joined the demon-human couple.

"So, what can I do for you?" Devyn began as his secretary brought in a tray of hot tea and coffee with an array of creamers and sugars. Breakfast pastries and an assortment of fruits was also provided. Having not eaten anything for quite some time, Axel's stomach immediately began to rumble at the sight of the delicious foods. However, the tense atmosphere prevented the half-angel from being the first to take from the tray. Being the youngest present, Axel wanted to make a good impression on the infamous Devyn Vaumyr, so he did not want to come across as an uncultured, immature boy.

"We need to find Orion," Kilo began as Castyr leaned forward and selected a pastry with pistachio crème filling. The angel smiled softly as he watched his star hand the pastry to their hungry vernal. Kilo was glad his star was showing affection toward the hangel. Ever since Castyr had become a fallen star, his emotions had all but disappeared. But, after Castyr first laid eyes on the silver-eyed hangel, he appeared to be quite caring of the team's vernal. This put Kilo at ease.

"Orion?" Devyn inquired with a lifted brow. "Heaven's seraph?"

Orion...as in the constellation? Axel looked toward Kilo, who confirmed Devyn's inquiry with a nod of his head, before returning to enjoying his chocolate-filled pastry.

"He disappeared the night Aklys was usurped," Devyn informed. "He hasn't been seen since. No one knows what he is up to."

Axel stopped eating his pastry at the mention of the missing demon king's name. Aklys... Orion... these names feel so familiar. "Who is Orion?" Axel spoke up quietly. He felt slightly awkward asking about a man everyone else seemed to know, but he wished to learn as much as he could if it pertained to the war.

"Orion is the Seraph of Heaven, or Heaven's highest-ranking angel," Devyn informed. "He is mate to Demon King Aklys and was a key factor of bringing peace between Hades and Heaven. After Star Castyr defeated the prior demon king, Aklys assumed the role as Hades' leader and entered a peace treaty with Heaven, and thus began the Age of Concord, the era of which we live in now."

"We assume it was Aklys' right hand, Demon General Hark, who usurped Aklys and caused him to disappear," Devyn continued. "Where Aklys is now, we do not know. Hark was not supportive of having peace between Hades and Heaven. He wished to see Hades' darkness cover the universe and all the worlds within it."

"Orion, whom Kilo wishes to find, also disappeared the night that Demon King Aklys was overthrown and Hark took control." After answering Axel's question, Devyn returned his attention to Kilo and asked, "So, why do you need to find Orion?"

"He knows how to find Angel's Landing," Kilo answered promptly.

"I thought Angel's Landing was a myth," Devyn commented as he leaned forward and poured himself a cup of tea.

"Star Ellessi prophesied that finding Angel's Landing will end the war," Kilo informed the human as Devyn dropped a sugar cube into his teacup.

"Let's say you find it," Devyn began as he lifted his cup to his lips. "How do you access it?"

"Axel," Kilo responded shortly.

"Pardon?" Devyn voiced as he looked toward the young hangel.

"Star Ellessi said that Axel is the key to Angel's Landing. He has the ability to unlock it."

Devyn did not question Kilo's words although it may have been a bit hard to believe that a half-angel was the one who could unlock an extremely powerful element of the heavens. Instead, he took a moment to set his teacup on the table in front of him before nodding his head and saying, "Very well. Tell me what I need to do. Let's find Orion and end this horrible massacre."