CHAPTER 21 | HEAR MY VOICE

Axel could feel the heat of the fires on his face as Makio flew him over the burning trees. The fires spread quickly as the horde of demon warcraft raced toward the three. They had been spotted, and it was only a matter of seconds before bullets were being shot all around and ribbons of flame flew toward them.

"Hold on, Axel!" Makio shouted as he swirled out of the way to evade a string of bullets.

Go Makio! Seraphines' voice in Makio's mind caused the angel to whip his gaze to the pink-haired angel. Take Axel away from here. Regroup with the colonel.

Makio's eyes widened at Seraphine's words. No...

That's an order, Lieutenant! After giving her command, Seraphine turned from Makio and Axel and drew her sword from her back. 

"Captain!" Makio called after Seraphine as she began flying toward the oncoming demon warcraft.

"Go now!" Seraphine shouted as she lifted her blade and deflected a string of bullets.

Gritting his teeth, Makio shut his eyes and quickly lifted a prayer. May the Heavens protect you. A tear escaped the angel's eye as he then closed his wings and began diving toward the trees. Axel watched with wide eyes as Seraphine flew to be between him and Makio and the forces of Hades.

The moment the two flew beneath the treetops, Makio's wings scraped against the rough bark due to their great reach, but he continued flying. He needed to get Axel to safety. He had sworn to protect the hangel, and so he would. It was his duty.

"Makio, your wings!" Axel called out in warning as he watched the angel's wings continue to be scraped and slashed by the sharp branches.

Makio ignored Axel's warning and continued to fly through the woods. He was desperate to reach the colonel. He was certain the base was aware of the danger that was already upon Nature's Reserve, but he hoped he would reach the camp before the demons did. 

"We're almost there," Makio said as he continued to hold Axel and fly as best he could in the restricted space of the forest.

An orange light began to shine through the woods as Makio flew Axel through the trees. Turning to his right, Axel's heart dropped when he saw the raging fire quickly spreading in the direction of the camp. It would soon be upon them. 

Sensing impending danger, Makio did his best to quicken his pace. Within the next minute, Makio broke through the trees that served as the border of the base where he saw the unit already engaged in battle. What Makio, Seraphine, and Axel saw was only the air raid flying above the forest. What they had failed to discover were the ground forces that were pushing through the forest ahead of the air raid. 

Upon setting down, Makio and Axel immediately drew their weapons. When Axel was not training, he would carry a few guns and a set of daggers as his means of defense. Since he was now comfortable with using telekinesis, Axel preferred to use his two daggers as he could control them with his mind and have them fly wherever he needed.

The sound of silken fabric rustled past Axel's ear as Makio extracted his weapon. Makio was famous for not having chosen a traditional blade as his weapon of choice. Instead of a sword or dagger set, Makio fought with a ribbon. While a piece of ribbon may seem harmless to many, Makio's weapon was one of the far more dangerous ones. 

The edges of the light green ribbon were razor-sharp and could cut through even the toughest of steel. It was also great for defense as Makio could wield it to surround him in a spiral and deflect any bullets aimed at him. It also had amazing reach due to its incredible length, making it an efficient weapon for offensive maneuvers. The ribbon was also quite agile and could twist, pull, bind, sever, pierce, and capture.