CHAPTER 25 | BRANCH SWALLOW

Kilo and Castyr? Maelynn fell silent as she heard the angel's reply. The Kilo and Castyr?? She had heard her uncle speak of an angel and star couple that had saved the universe from being overrun by Hades five centuries ago. There were numerous stories written about them and their brave feats. Are these two really them?

Looking back and forth from the raven headed to the silver-haired, Maelynn held her breath as she processed what the angel had told her. If he was being truthful, it would be an easy task to meet with Devyn Vaumyr. As she observed the couple in the front of the rover, she saw that they indeed did match the descriptions of the guardian angel and fallen star.

The angel who had been speaking had pitch-black hair and electric purple eyes while the man beside him, whom Maelynn could only assume was the star, had silver hair and dark eyes like that of an abyss.

If they're Kilo and Castyr...then...who are you? Maelynn then turned to look at Axel, who merely stared back at her with his bright silver eyes. Maelynn remembered the half-angel from when Hades had first invaded Harlim. The boy had grown in both height and physique; his arms now had muscle definition, but other than that, he was still the same boy whose life had been turned upside down three months ago. 

Wait...was he the same? Maelynn locked eyes on the male sitting on the other side of the rover's bench as she observed him. Though she had limited contact with the boy three months prior, the boy who stood in a daze amidst the fire and chaos that besieged the city now sat beside her with conviction in his gaze. He had grown. He had experienced death and the terrors of war, and he had risen above them to obtain strength and power.

Though still young herself, Maelynn's heart ached for the young man who was forced to experience things he never should have seen and heard. He should have had a calm, peaceful life, not a life of pain and blood. Maelynn lowered her gaze as she mourned for the life the hangel could never have now. 

Axel closed his eyes and turned his face toward the horizon as Kilo drove through the war-torn city. The wind rippled through Axel's blonde hair as he faced the setting sun. He had sensed the lieutenant's gaze linger on him, but he paid her no heed and let her look at him for as long as she liked. 

"Continue alongside Fareway 97 for fifteen miles then turn right at Kiyok Avenue." Upon relaying instructions on how to find her unit, the lieutenant then relaxed in the back seat of the rover and crossed her arms over her chest as she looked out the side of the vehicle and watched the bombed-out skyreachers pass by.

Kilo refrained from getting on the highways and instead drove beneath them as driving directly on the wide highways would leave them too exposed. Since there was no traffic in the city, it did not take long for Kilo to travel the fifteen miles and turn right at Kiyok Avenue just as the lieutenant had instructed.

"Continue down this avenue until you reach the blue garage. My unit is on the fourth level."

Kilo followed Maelynn's instructions, and they were turning into the parking garage within the next few minutes. Kilo slowed as he drove up the ramps that led to the garage's fourth floor.

"Lieutenant Mage returning to Branch Swallow." Kilo heard Maelynn speak into the device in her ear to alert Unit K-4 of her return. "Three crows in tow," Maelynn then added to inform her unit of the guests she was bringing with her.

Kilo drove slowly and cautiously as they reached the fourth floor where they were stopped by two armed soldiers who stood in the path leading into Level 4. Kilo took his hands off the control wheel of the rover as the soldiers walked up to either side of the vehicle. The soldiers kept their weapons fire-ready as they inspected the rover's passengers.

Upon seeing the lieutenant sitting in the back seat, the soldiers saluted their officer and allowed the rover to pass through. "Wrap around to the left and park in a spot close to the lifts," Maelynn told Kilo as the angel drove into the fourth floor.

Maelynn hopped out of the rover as Kilo parked in front of the centralized area of the parking garage that contained the lifts and emergency stairs. The three males were quick to follow the lieutenant as she called one of the lifts to the fourth level. When the lift arrived at the desired floor, the four promptly boarded and rode it to the level beneath the roof of the garage.

The moment the doors of the lift opened on Level 84, the four were met with guns and lights pointed directly at them. "Lieutenant Mage, Unit K-4, EDF," Maelynn was quick to announce herself, and she stepped in front of the three men accompanying her.

After a quick moment of seeing who had arrived on the lift, the guns were promptly lowered as the unit's commanding officer stepped forward to greet one of his members. "Welcome back, Lieutenant," a man with a scar above his right eye greeted after giving the command for his soldiers to lower their guns.

"Major," Maelynn returned her commanding officer's greeting with a bow of her head. She kept her head lowered as she reached into the chest pocket of her vest and retrieved the set of name tags she had collected from her fallen comrade. "Spencir did not make it, Sir."

Maelynn's commanding officer sighed upon seeing the metal chain in her palm, and he set a hand on her shoulder. "You've done well, Lieutenant. Spencir would have been proud."

Maelynn remained silent and lowered her gaze as her commanding officer comforted her. Upon remembering the lieutenant had brought guests with her, Maelynn's commanding officer looked from his team member to the three men standing behind her in silence. 

"Major Iero, Commanding Officer of Unit K-4, EDF," the man introduced as he walked up to the three.

"Lieutenant Colonel Kilo, Captain of Team R-10, Unit R, HDD," Kilo returned as he shook the hand the major had extended.

"Major Castyr, Vice Captain of Team R-10, Unit R, HDD," Castyr followed in introducing himself and bowed to the major while Axel greeted, "Axel Kaison, Team R-10, Unit R, HDD."

"Nice to meet you all. What brings you to Branch Swallow? We don't have much contact with forces from the HDD outside of Harlim." Major Iero inquired of the three's intentions after the introductions had been completed.

"They saved me in Vitran's Plaza," Maelynn explained as she came to stand beside her CO. "They wish to get to Daedoeshi."

"Daedoeshi?" Iero questioned with the intention of knowing more about the three's plans.

"The rest of our unit is heading to Daedoeshi as we speak," Kilo revealed. "My CO has requested my comrades and I return to our unit. For this, I seek your aid, Major."

Iero fell quiet for a moment as he pondered whether he would help the three HDD soldiers. The angel's story checked out as Iero had just received word of several heavenly forces rendezvousing in Daedoeshi to gather together before launching an attack on Harlim. He and his unit had also been recalled to Daedoeshi, and he did not see the harm in aiding his allies. So, he nodded and responded, "I must say, you have impeccable timing, Lt. Colonel. We are leaving for Daedoeshi at nightfall, and I have enough seats to accommodate you and your comrades."

"Thank you, Major," Kilo said with a bow of his head to show respect and gratitude.

"Don't mention it," Iero returned. "After all, it seems we need all the help we can get. This war has only grown worse. With the HDD here, we may have a chance to turn things around." After exchanging nods with Kilo, Iero then turned to Lieutenant Mage and instructed her to make sure the HDD soldiers were taken care of and fed before the long flight to Daedoeshi.

"Lieutenant Mage will see to it you get some dinner and a place to rest up," Iero said to the three men after relaying orders to the lieutenant. "We have a long flight ahead of us. And let's hope we are able to leave unnoticed. I may need your help if we aren't."